Onan 5.0 fuel pump -how to prime?

Started by Roxyred, January 18, 2016, 12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxyred

so I replaced the fuel line based on my last post, but I can't seem to get the pump to pull fuel back into the line. Last time I messed with it (involving tasting a sip of fuel, yuck!) I sucked fuel into the line, and after 4/5 tries it just fired up.

If there's a great trick please share!

Rickf1985

No trick, If the line is good all the way back to the tank, including any metal lines, then with the choke on it should pull gas. Are you sure the line between the pump and the carburetor is completely clear including the filter? Any obstructions there could give you a problem. Take the line off of the pump on the tank side and hold your finger lightly on the line going into the pump and crank it, do you feel any suction at all? You could get an appropriate sized piece of clear vinyl tubing from a home store and put that on the pump and into a can of gas and crank it and see if the pump is pulling a good amount of gas. If it is just barely moving anything then the pump is probably bad or clogged with dirt.

Roxyred

Thanks. I will run some tests and report back.  :)clap

Rickf1985

When doing that test with the clear tubing try it first with the line off of the carb and filter, just on the pump alone. If it pumps a lot of gas there but not when hooked up then the restriction is on the carburetor side of the pump.

Roxyred