kohler generator stops running after a few minutes

Started by maty111, December 30, 2015, 07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maty111

hey guys.  Im kinda new to the board.  I own a 1972 winnebago brave.  Ive had it for a couple years now.  It has been a learning curve..
I got the generator running with a carb rebuild and a new fuel pump.  The system has worked the last couple years, not great, but it works.  I normally get the generator going, then ease the air conditioning system, starting with just running the fan for a minute and building up to finally high a/c. 
but now, after my little warm up, the generator dies after a couple minutes.  Anyone point me in a good start?  I would like to keep it original...

matt

Rickf1985

My first thought would be lack of fuel under load. When was the filter changed last? After the filter would be the fuel pump but also make sure the fuel line leading into the tank does not have any holes or cracks in it that could be letting air in. If it has never been replaced I guarantee it is bad after all those years. Have you checked the points and plugs and replaced the condenser any time recently?

DRMousseau

I very much agree with Rick,...
...A good tune-up is always beneficial, but ignition problems usually appear as an increasing difficulty in starting. So my first impression is more of an increasing loss of fuel supply and/or pressure. Dirty fuel filter, cracking fuel lines, or failing fuel pump, can all lead to the gradually increasing and worsening problems you experience. Although you noted the pump was replaced with new, there's no mention of filters and fuel lines.

Why was the fuel pump replaced??? Why was carb rebuilt??? Were these obvious problems??? What problems existed previous to those repairs, if any??? I'm wondering if these suffered at all from water and moisture damage. If so, old metal fuel lines have likely suffered the same, and the unseen buildup inside, can be very problem some in much the same manner.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

RANGERRICK

I have some hard to find Kohler parts for sale if you need something.

maty111

when I purchased the rv, it has been sitting for years.  I rebuilt the carb and installed a new fuel fileter, and the gen started right up.  same kinda problems, i installed a new fuel pump.  the new pump helped..
this week I will replace the metal fuel lines from the tank.  I did have a new fuel tank made, it was the first fix after the purchase.
I would like to replace the spark plug.  Its a champion h10, but I cannot find it.  all i can find is a champion h10c.  is this the same plug?

HamRad Mobile

Good morning, Matt; 

Actually, no, the H10C is not "exactly" the same as the original Champion H10, but it is really very close, and almost close enough for many to say that there is no real difference. 

Both of them are the same physical thread body; 14mm diameter with a 7/16 inch or 11mm "reach," or just under 1/2 inch, but the difference there of less than 1/2 inch is important.  The heat range is the same; pretty warm.  The only real difference is in the center firing electrode, where the "C" variant uses a high Copper alloy for the center firing electrode.  Originally that was to increase the heat conductivity of the center firing electrode and to help it run at a lower temperature. 

I would say that you can go ahead and use the H10C in your Kohler.  Otherwise, you can have your local auto parts guy look up in the cross-reference chart to find an NGK, Nippon Denso, Bosch, Autolite, or other sparking plug maker's equivalent. 

Enjoy; 

Ralph 
          Latte Land, Washington 

DRMousseau

Oh my! Sparkplugs!

Surprisingly enough (and some will certainly disagree), most engines had been engineered and designed with a specific purpose of use, and of readily available materials,... and then somewhat developed around a sparkplug that would meet those needs! It's always best to use the spark plug designated and specified by the engine manufacturer.

Some classic "enthusiasts" will seek out and hoard a lifetime supply of spark plugs, because they are no longer made to the original design specification or quality. The only significant difference between Champion's H10 and H10C is indeed the electrode design. H10C being a later design incorporating the "Copper Plus" electrode instead of the previous conventional electrodes of nickel-iron alloys. The H10C's can be substituted where H10's were previously specified, but the latter CAN NOT be substituted in applications specifying H10C. (I will not mention the difference in manufacturing quality, that you may find very apparent when replace your older plug with a new one!)

Spark plugs are far more important and critical than many give credit to. Substitutions and replacements DO require careful, knowledgeable consideration.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

maty111

maty111

eh  no change.  I replaced the spark plug with a h10c, gapped at .030
new fuel line with new filter.

I guess Ill see if a small engine mechanic can work on it?

matt