Can I convert onan bfa to electronic ignition?

Started by OLEGATOR, December 23, 2015, 04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLEGATOR

can i convert to electrictronic ignition?  what parts are needed?

bluebird

Doubt very much if you're going to find one, and if you do it won't be cheap. You could buy a used later model generator for what guys are wanting for the kits last I saw. Here is what you need.   
160-1376 Magna Arc

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

DaveVA78Chieftain

Alternative: Kirk Engines Trandenser II (replaces their 12VDC Points Saver product)

It is Electronic Ignition however it uses the original points as the trigger mechanism.  However, the current seen at the points is reduced from 2 amps to 150 milliamps so they no longer burn up.

Kirk Engines also has some other lower cost alternative products for Onan and Kohler
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

Am I reading that right? That Transdenser will work on the BGE also from the looks of it. That is a hell of a good idea. Downside? I don't see any. I would like to go that route on mine.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Look deeper at their site Rick.  Electric fuel pump, coils, coil wires, etc.  Some of the hard things to find at reasonable costs
[move][/move]

bluebird

Good find Dave !! If my BGE has points I'm going to buy one of those. I really don't care for onans but the deal I had on a 7000 generac fell through. I bought a second muffler today and am going to try and quiet this onan down. Then I think I'll use some sound deadener to line the compartment.

DaveVA78Chieftain

BGE Spec A thru F = Points Ignition
BGE Spec G and later = Electronic Ignition
[move][/move]

OLEGATOR

thanks for the sugestions.  i will follow up and see what i come up with.  the wet weather we have been having probably has caused a lot of my problems.

Sasquatch

I used a cheap assemble it yourself kit that uses the points as a trigger method on my 4kw Onan CCK.  Not only does it work like a charm, but it starts so much easier and runs smoother.  The kit was like $30 or so.  Now to convert it to fuel injection.........