Warning - Windows 10 Update

Started by DaveVA78Chieftain, November 15, 2015, 01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveVA78Chieftain

The November 2015 Windows 10 major update is huge

Takes at least 1 hour to download over DSL

Takes over 3 hours to install - set aside a day just for updating.  MS fools you by trying to hide this by scheduling the update to be performed at night (assumes your computer is always on)
At the end of the update the the Windows screen is displayed however the ICONs are blank and the start bar is only partially filled in.  Don't panic, you still have at least 30 more minutes of the update to complete even though stupid MS does not tell you this (tell tell hardware disk access indicator is brightly lit).  Just be patient until the screen looks normal.

You may loose any Favorites you have stored in MS Edge (I have a recovery method posted on the Microsoft website).  Things like this is why Dull Edge has dropped to 2% market share (MS never listens it seems)

Windows Mail gets updated however that happens the next time you open it.
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

I put 10 on my wifes computer and it SUCKS!!! I can't put that in big enough letters! XP was good but they stopped supporting that, 7 is very good but support ends for that on 2017. We cannot win.

HandyDan

I updated to 10 and thought it was pretty neat, until I discovered that my email was completely disabled.  MS 10 uses IMAP for email where MS7 uses POP3.  After the update nothing worked and MAIL was so watered down you couldn't find anything or do anything like you used to.  Thankfully they provided a provision to return to MS 7, but even then it had messed up my email to the point I had to reconfigure it all.  I will stick with MS 7 for the time being. I know how it works, and it works for me. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

I miss Windows 3.1. Yea, sure I do.

M & J

M & J

DaveVA78Chieftain

BTW, I should have mentioned I use Firefox for 99% of my browsing.
[move][/move]

EldoradoBill

I use 8.1 both at home and at work, much better than 7 or XP, I'm reluctant to upgrade to 10 until the quirks are sorted out.

Bill

Rickf1985

You are the first person I have ever heard say that 8 or 8.1 is better than previous versions. All of the IT people at work hated it even though they are still on 7 and Server 2008. They still have to deal with it on laptops and training.

EldoradoBill

Rick I used to have 95/XP on everything, then bought a laptop with 7, when I got a tablet for work with 8.1 I was sold. The kids now use the 7 machine; I bought myself a full size tablet with 8.1. It's different than previous generations, you need to allow yourself a learning curve.

Bill

DaveVA78Chieftain

Been using 10 since it came out.  Has had it's quirks.  Seems that Dull Edge product is the root of most evils because it is too deeply integrated into the operating system.  I have had to reset Edge twice now because of problems that affect the start menu.
[move][/move]