Custom Closet - Extending Pegboard Panels

Started by sasktrini, November 09, 2015, 06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sasktrini

In my motorhome refurb, I am building up a reconfigured closet.  It's adjacent to my mid-passenger-side entrance, over the rear wheel well and across from my kitchenette.

Here is a before pic:

First, I needed to ensure completion of the floor, insulation and paneling of the exterior wall and the ceiling.  It included insulating and boxing in the wheel well (same was true for the generator box in the rear). I sealed up the gaps and used rigid foam panels and 3/4" plywood over the plastic wheel well, basically. As a side note.... bye bye, rear bunks.  This was a couple years ago, during the teardown and floor replacement.

To be continued...

Corey aka sasktrini

sasktrini

This was probably spring of 2015.  The drawers were made of particle board and filthy… I rebuilt them.

This angle doesn't capture it very well, but the base of the closet on this side is much sturdier.  I used plywood for the face, which allowed me to make sure it insulated the wheel well best.   

I did use sticks to tie it into the wall, with a thinner piece of plywood holding it to the wall and together.

This closet will support a lot of weight without crushing the wheel well… good thing, because music gear and tool boxes are heavy.
Corey aka sasktrini

sasktrini

Next, I mocked up the top portion of the closet at home and installed it later.  By "top", I mean from about four inches to the ceiling.

Towards the rear is one hanging rod, where the closet opens up towards the rear.  On the left side facing the kitchenette is another hanging rod and a section for suspending my pegboards' filing cabinet double rollers!  Once hung, I framed out the wall partitions tying in the top and base.

The pegboards extend into the aisle, and have about 4" depth for hanging cables and such vertically!  Also, you see my solar wiring, but I will have to hide other wiring through the top and back of the closet too.

That's where the closet is at today.  I still have to finish panelling, and decide on doors for it… The air conditioner I added  would probably interfere with the tops of the original doors.

Corey aka sasktrini