Replacing Brake hoses

Started by EldoradoBill, November 03, 2015, 05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EldoradoBill

I played hooky from work so I could replace the front brake hoses and air bags (one bag was missing for an unknown reason). In hindsight I probably should have just replaced the coils (these things are a bear both coming out and going in!) but what saved me was a suggestion someone on the forums made, and that was to use my vacuum pump to suck down the bag so it was at least not so bad stuffing it up in the hole. Soapy water wasn't cutting it either so I used silicone spray, which seemed marginally easier.

The brake hoses were rather straightforward and my wife was available to do the "pump and hold" brake bleeding. I did have a slight issue, and that is, the hoses on my rig are retained to the chassis with clips, the ones I ordered on line use nuts, I ended up taking a quick run to the parts store for the correct ones but now I have two hoses I can't use (it cost more for return shipping than it's worth-they were on clearance) If anyone has a P chassis rig that  uses these and can use them send me a pm, first one who can send a self addressed prepaid small priority mail flat rate box can have them.

Bill

Rickf1985

Dang! I just replaced those very hoses on mine a couple months ago! Oh well. i??

EldoradoBill

I've found a home for the hoses. Thanks for the interest.

Bill

Froggy1936

I just had a fluid leak on my 77 mini winnie  Turned out to be power steering fluid, The high pressure line from the pump to the Brake master Cly sprung a leak (rubber split) Now i find that this is a very special hose for veh with Hydroboost  brakes (listed as motor homes only) Still available but a special order item 10 day + $6.00 shipping for a $18.00 hose . These may become scarce ! Frank

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Winnebago Warrior 94

We had to change our brake lines out too ..we have just done the front brakes ..havent had to mess with the rear brakes yet ..I do need to get the airbags mine are no longer any good ..when we change them out may have to try your trick .

1990HR

Quote from: Froggy1936 on May 22, 2017, 09:40 PM
I just had a fluid leak on my 77 mini winnie  Turned out to be power steering fluid, The high pressure line from the pump to the Brake master Cly sprung a leak (rubber split) Now i find that this is a very special hose for veh with Hydroboost  brakes (listed as motor homes only) Still available but a special order item 10 day + $6.00 shipping for a $18.00 hose . These may become scarce ! Frank

It's funny you posted this today as I took my hydroboost to NAPA so they can order a new(rebuilt) one.
I'm doing a complete brake job and replacing everything but the hard lines. MC, calipers, pads, brake hoses and so on.
I'm going to replace these hoses you just mentioned by why would they be any different than any other P30, 32 with a hydroboost system?
The system does not know if there is a house on the back or hauling Wonder bread. :)

Rickf1985

Bread and delivery trucks had vastly different bodies on them and the hose routing was different. The ones I worked on had the brake cylinders out front where they were accessible.