235/85R16 Tyre advice

Started by Jupp318, July 28, 2016, 11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jupp318

Hi,
I have just decoded my DOT date code (168) which is near enough the same on all my tyres. This means at best my tyres are 18 years old!. I'm not sure if Avon tyres are available in the US but I can get Avon Ranger ATT tyres at a very good price. Does anyone have any experience of these tyres?. If not any advice would be welcome.

EldoradoBill

Just today I put 7 Firestone TransForce HT tires on my rig to replace the old incorrect 215/85r16 tires (Originally came with 7.50-16D) The Firestones are a commercial tire that came highly recommended from folks who have used them. I could feel the difference both going to the tire shop on the old Coopers vs. the 30 mile return trip on the Firestones. Much better control on the road, 70 mph felt like nothing

Bill

Jupp318

Thanks Bill,
Unfortunately they are not available in the UK. I have managed to source some tyres but they will only fit to loose wheels, so I think I will be making a few trips to the tyre depot.

kenwautoone

Only fit to loose wheels.....say that in American.  Ken

BrianB

He has to take the wheels/tires off the coach and take them to the tire shop.
Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.

Jupp318

That's right Brian, In the end I drove to the tyre shop and jacked my rig and removed the wheels myself. I found an odd tyre on the rear axle that had a 2010 date code, so that made me look at the spare. That had a 028 date code followed by a triangle which meant it was made in week 2 of 1988!. The 2010 tyre is now my spare with all new ones in use on the road. Thanks for the replies.