Thinking of installing Yamaha 3000 Inverter/Generator

Started by LJ-TJ, October 20, 2015, 06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

I'm thinking of scraping my Onan 4000 generator and replacing it with a Yamaha 3000 generator. In terms of noise I find the Yamaha to be about the same as the Onan. I'm thinking of putting it in my generator bay and installing a couple of fans in order to keep the Yamaha cool while running it in the closed genny bay. Hm?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-EF3000iS-3-000-Watt-Gas-Powered-Portable-RV-Power-Inverter-Generator-/201365451302?hash=item2ee250f226:g:7CsAAOSwstxVcIWR

Bnova

LJ-TJ

Well the way I see it. If you've got a good working Onan, you are golden. If not you've got a money pit and a boat anchor. While many will dispute the availability of parts. In many cases you can't find them and there not cheep. Also while many say nothing to it, got if covered, I can fix it. Nup they can't. Oh it will cost you a fortune to have them look at it and tinker with it and when you go out the driveway it doesn't work any better than when you went in and you'll be several hundreds of dollars lighter in the pocket. The only good part is you can sell the parts off yours to guys like me who eventually realize I'm better off selling mine and yours for parts. D:oH!    :)rotflmao i??

Bnova

So I take it that the answer to my question is a resounding "YES"?

Myself, I think I'd do something a little more like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onan-Microlite-Generator-4000-/181724376544?hash=item2a4f9dede0:g:nEQAAOSwPgxVOCpF

Just take a look inside the cover, that thing is nice.

Then you've got something that is designed to be in an enclosed space, elec start, etc.  You maybe could find a less expensive one than this too.

DRMousseau

If my Onan TOTALLY gave out,... I too, would likely find a similar substitute to make do. On a VERY limited income,... I may have no choice!!
But if I could rebuild all that was necessary in the Onan for the same cost,... You can bet I'd keep it!!! Rebuilt, even after 30+yrs of use,... I'll like last far longer with better dependability than any new "high-tech" models available.

And you'd certainly be "making do" with most anything else! In 5, 10 or 20yrs,.... I doubt you'll find ANY parts for those substitutes. You jus buy another. My "antique" 2.5kw single cylinder Onan, was far quieter in the front yard, than ANY of those used by the neighbors up to a block away, during power outages this last summer. And I had to make do with an big lawnmower muffler cause the replacements ARE expensive! Jus can't afford a stock replacement yet. I have an Onan 4.5kw twin now. Aside from the slight exhaust leak, it's still quieter than an electric lawnmower!!

But quiet may not be really important! The AC unit can be REALLY obnoxious to everyone around! If your electrically/mechanically skilled and knowledgeable, you might like simplicity, ease of repair and maintenance. If not,... than you likely want something that you can afford repairs and labor costs of those who are, AND the replacement costs that will be necessary sooner than you might like.

That Onan may be "a money pit" to some, but I'll fork out the $130 for a new OEM fuel pump, knowing it's gonna last for another 20-30yrs!!! I jus can't afford the costs of too many cheap fuel pump replacements, nor can I afford to have power down so much while I find another one.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

Bnova