Tank Insulation Removal-Any Ideas ?

Started by lngfish, October 05, 2015, 06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lngfish

Hello,

I will soon be installing new sensor tapes and wires on the outside of my Grey and Black tanks under my RV.

These tanks as you know have insulation on them.

It is relatively soft but firm. Firmer than I expected. ie Firmer than the stuff in a spray can I might have to use at the end if I use it.

It is coated with dirt or undercoating or both. Not sure. Pretty thick skinned.

I will need to cut an area about the size of a telephone book.

This "Stuff" looks similar to what I have used in a spray can thaat is a mess to use that you spry in cracks and it foams up. I think u need glove to use it cause I didn't use gloves why I hate it.

I'm not sure exactly what to use to cut out the section I want to cut out since I've never done this job so I'm looking for some feedback from anybody.

These are tools I've thought of using to Slice out this section:

1. A electric Turkey Knife, when Wife is out shopping. Never uses it anyway.
2. Hack saw blade by hand
3. Sort of a butcher knife, "Wife out again"
4. A stiff blade from my Cut off Saw by hand
5. Miter box hand saw, Wife can be home
6. Few other hand saws I have but know the names for them. lol

Then I was thinking I may want do it carefully so I can put the section back in with Eternabond Tape and not mess with the Sticky stuff in the can at all since you need gloves. Kidding I have gloves somewhere I think.

I plan to stick something in insulation to see how Deep it is then carefully cut out a block, just not sure of how I plan on doing it.

Thoughts?

Steve

Rickf1985

I think it is going to be a combination of sharp knives, hacksaw blades stiff putty knives and a lot of beer. :D I also think you are going to find that the block you want to take out whole probably will not work out since it is going to be like glue on the tank. Once you hack, chisel, cut and scrape your way down to the plastic of the tank the "block" will be tiny pieces. Once you get to the tank Acetone will usually melt the insulation that is left on the tank for a clean surface.

lngfish

hi Rick,

Yes a block is wishful thinking. I'll still try it seems darn firm, perhaps too firm like u said might come out in pieces.
Thanks for letting me know acetone is what to use for cleaning.   I think I have some not sure enough.

thanks for input

Steve

Rickf1985

Just be sure not to cut into the plastic tank while cutting the stiff foam. That is why it is better to scrape and chisel so you are not at a right angle to the tank. Or at least probe to find out how deep it is so you know where to stop.

TripleJ

What kind of access do you have?
Wire wheel on a drill motor? It would be messy but would probably remove the insulation relatively fast without risking a too-fast cut thru the tank Hm?
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

lngfish

OK, Done,

I had easy access.  I used hand tools only, carefully.  Came off in Lil-Bits  as Rick said it would.

Marked outline square with Knife first and used putty knife up to it.  Tank was black and shiny and slick, a dry slick.  Stuff popped off tank easily once I got done close to it, but small pieces.   Not much residue at all.

Clean tank with rubbing alcohol since directions state to use this for sensor foil material for new level sensors.

Area about 8" x 10"

Wired up Grey Tank, one to go.

lngfish

I redid the insulation with a couple cans of Great Stuff.  Grey and Black tanks.

I found it best to put it slowly in tiny 1/4 rows side by side. Go slow.

Will take 2 coats like this or it drips off.