Onan BFA -- Fuel filter location?

Started by Mr Ray, September 30, 2015, 02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Ray

Hi All!

I have a BFA (spec C) that is running rough.  It sat for a year or so, so I know varnish in the car is part of it, but as I was running seafoam through the Gen I noticed chunks of debris appearing in the bottom of my fuel container.  I was running a fuel / Seafoam mix into the line that goes into that cylinder I have circled in the attached pic.

So now I know there is debris in that cylinder,  or at least in the rubber fuel line going to it, so I'm wondering is that the fuel pump?   Fuel filter?   Both?   Is it serviceable? 

I think I'm going to get some fuel line today and replace the whole run from the tank to the gen.

I was running seafoam into the black hose at the bottom of the circled part.

And BTW,  this is not a pic of my gen.  I found the pic online.  But mine is identical.

Thx in advance!

legomybago

Your fuel pump is attached to the rubber fuel line. You can use a 7/8 or 15/16" wrench and loosen the lower bottom cap of the pump. The filter is inside. Drops out the bottom.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Mr Ray

Thanks for the reply.   You're talking about the cap on the very bottom of the cylinder, under the hose?  I took that off but couldn't get anything to come out.  I figured it was just a water trap.  Not sure how to describe, but in feeling around in there with my finger,  it felt like there was a pin sticking out that could be pushed up, like it was a valve of some sort.  Does that make sense?  Should I try to pull it out with a tool?  Or maybe the previous owner took the filter out and didn't replace?

legomybago

The screen must be gone..You can just add an inline filter on the rubber fuel line.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

DRMousseau

It seems not all had the screen filter installed, but it is available. The "pin" inside you feel is the end of the "plunger", under pressure by a spring, it is retained by a pin clip on the "sleeve". It has one way ball valve on the lower end (you may be feeling this as it moves a bit in the plunger) and a rubber diaphragm-like valve on the other end. Inside that cap, is a large rubber washer-like seal, and in the center of it is a magnet to capture rust and metal particles. Those two parts, seal and magnet, are also readily available. The filter screen fits the circumference of the body, it may fall right out with the cap, or you might slide it out of the pump body with you finger.

The plunger should be a replaceable part, but I'm not able to locate one anywhere. If anyone knows where I might locate one, I'm in dire need. Seems the rubber valve/seal on the top end is failing. If I can't locate a source for this plunger assembly, I'll have to replace the entire pump and most know that it runs about $100+ for one of these things.

The pump is easily removed from the unit, and can be some-what disassembled for cleaning and inspection, although the "activating coil" and electrical components are sealed and not serviceable.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

DRMousseau

Remembering my last dissemble,... that ball valve your probably feeling, is a separate component from the plunger, yet retained with the plunger and spring by that circular wire clip. That ball valve seems like it too should be a replaceable item, but I've not seen them.
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

Mr Ray

Thx guys.  I got out the trusty dental mirror and saw that indeed there was a filter.  In haste, I made the assumption that what DRMousseau identified as a retaining clip was a handle to pull the filter out with.  So now the retaining clip is out along with the filter and a mysterious bonus washer :-).   I was hoping I could leave it out, as I expect it will be a pain to get back in.  I guess I'll remove the pump so I can ga in a little space to work (the gen is still in my Minnie Winnie).

Also, the seal on the bottom cap is disintegrating.  Doc, can you tell me where you saw that?

Best,
Ray

DRMousseau

I'd LUV to have a good source of parts for these!!!

Here's an eBay listing for both filter and cap seal. Surely these are available SOMEWHERE, but I've ordered a lot from eBay with no problems and will likely order these too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SEALED-Facet-filter-479136-479-136-and-washer-751-872-751872-/261616082883

Check the Cummins-Onan site,... http://www.cumminsonanstore.com/
And KNOW what your lookin for. All the manuals, parts lists and more are in member area,... and they're a huge help!!!
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

Oz

Please stay on topic.  Fuel filter - carbs are different topics, the latter should be posted as a new topic.

Please take a moment to read the message posting rules.  Simple and brief, but very important in helping everyone get the most from our forum.

:)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Mr Ray

Quote from: Oz on September 30, 2015, 11:50 PM
Please stay on topic.

I'll be good!!!  I'll be good!!! :-)

Quote from: DRMousseau on September 30, 2015, 10:28 PM
Here's an eBay listing for both filter and cap seal.

This is perfect.  Thanks!  Headed to Cummins dealer today.  I'll inquire about the plunger while I'm there.

DaveVA78Chieftain

The BFA 149-1828 Fuel Pump / Filter Facet Replacement is a bit pricey. You can replace it with an aftermarket 2-4 PSI pump plus aftermarket filter for a lot less.

PS: Join CWVRV and download all the BFA manuals for free.  Great filter parts view of the stock Onan Fuel Pump / Filter in the BFA Operators manual.
[move][/move]

Mr Ray

Thanks Dave!  Was wondering, as there seems to be some variation in the recommended oem replacement pumps such as higher psi specs (149-1828) compared to others (149-1304).

Yeah that retaining clip must have been important.   Pump no longer works.  I'm just going to buy a new aftermarket one and be done with it.  When I win the lottery I'll replace all these parts with green ones.

Doc, no luck on plunger from Cummins.

DRMousseau

Yup,... pretty important, that retaining clip holds all the moving parts in the "cylinder sleeve" (the center tube) against the spring pressure.

These fuel pumps are typically a part of the genny unit, and are sometimes quite a distance from the fuel supply tank. This means they "draw" fuel from some distance. Pumps are better at "pushing" fuel rather than "drawing" fuel. It also means a pump can run "dry" till fuel reaches it from the tank. Most pumps also have a check valve, to prevent significant fuel from draining back to the tank leaving the fuel line and pump empty. Be sure your replacement pump has this check valve. It's pretty standard anymore, but good to be certain.

Thinkin I'll be bitin' the big bullet and order a stock replacement early next year. These are pretty well made and seem to last longer than diaphragm or centrifugal type external pumps. If my current one fails unexpectedly before then, I have a rather new, low pressure automotive pump that will serve as emergency backup if necessary.
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor