Questions about using EternaBond and Dicor on roof

Started by bluekayak, September 25, 2015, 06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluekayak

Hi,

I need to do some roof sealing on our "new" 1990 Alandan. As you can see in the photos, it still has the aluminum roof, and the seams where the roof and sides meet have never been sealed. There also is some leaking around the skylight. Most of the fixtures look like they were sealed with Dicor.

I planned to use 4" wide EternaBond on the long seams along the side of coach, but I have some questions and hope those with experience can provide the answers. I have read on the forum that 2 inches is sufficient, but all I can find locally is 4 inch wide tape.

I was told not to use any petroleum product with Dicor, so I'll clean the area with denatured alcohol, unless someone suggests something else.

Should I take off the roof rack so I can get one long seam?

Can I leave the Dicor on the long seams across the front and back and place the EternaBond over the Dicor, or should I remove the Dicor?

I read somewhere you should not use Dicor on the skylight, can I use EternaBond the skylight or should I use something else?

Would you remove the Dicor from the other fixtures, such as the vent, put EternaBond over the Dicor, or put fresh Dicor over the old Dicor?

ClydesdaleKevin

4 inches wide is what you want, I would remove the roof rack, and then reinstall it after putting down the tape, and denatured alcohol is all I use for serious roof cleaning anymore (I don't use TSP anymore like I used to, once I found out how bad it is for the environment).

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

bluekayak

Thanks Kevin. I really like your Holiday Rambler. If I ever have a man cave, I'd like to polish up an HR grill and mount it on the wall.

Jerry

fasteddie313

You are so lucky to have such little mess to clean up on that roof..

Mine had like 5 layers of crap flaking off of it that took me hours to wire wheel off and loose rail mounts to deal with.

Rickf1985

If I ever have to remove my rail it will stay off! That railing is the source of many, many leaks. And face it, how many of you actually put anything up there that needs the rail to hold it? If I run under a low tree branch I want it to just slide along and off, not snag the railing and put it loose or even worse, pull it off!

ClydesdaleKevin

I like having the roof rack.  I don't carry one anymore now that we have a composting toilet, but it was the perfect place to strap down the tote tank for travel.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

bluekayak

I started scraping off the Dicor and realized it was in good shape -- still soft and flexible. So, I went over the Dicor where there were cracks and gaps with more Dicor instead of scraping it off.

I have not used the EternaBond tape yet, but plan to do so on the long seams where the roof and side walls meet. I needed to get some additional cleaning material before putting on the tape and hope to get that done this weekend. However, our grandson is visiting this weekend, and yesterday was his seventh birthday. I may not have much time this weekend to work on the Elandan. I'll try to post some pictures of what I have done so far.

Jerry

bluekayak

Here are a few pictures of the Dicor. I cleaned the area first with denatured alcohol. The worst leak was next to the skylight, and the Winnebago rep said to use polyurethane sealant next to the skylight instead of Dicor.