Generator running but AC not coming on. 4.0 bfa

Started by davidwhitaker, September 22, 2015, 10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidwhitaker

I finally got the generator started but the AC is not coming on. Shouldn't it just automatically send power to the unit? Or am I missing a switch or something???

Bnova

You have the shore power cable plugged into the generator outlet?

lemortede

Quote from: Bnova on September 22, 2015, 11:13 AM
You have the shore power cable plugged into the generator outlet?

This threw me at first too.
I thought there was some smart switch that would switch between shore and generator, but alas there is not.
In the box where your shore power connection is there should be an outlet that you can plug the shore power into.
That should go to the generator.
If its not there I have heard of if being in the generator box.
Good luck.

davidwhitaker

Lol. Is that what that outlet is for. Got it thank you.

davidwhitaker

Froggy1936

David There is a automatic switch available That is user installed .That automaticly connects generator or shore power  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

lemortede

I was wondering about that. Is there an example link you could provide, or tell me what it's called ?

Bnova

Froggy1936

Lemortede  It is made by IOTA and is called a transfer switch There is a picture in the forum under generators pg 2 oct 16 There is also some info of when I installed it somewhere here ?Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

lemortede

Quote from: Froggy1936 on September 22, 2015, 02:47 PM
Lemortede  It is made by IOTA and is called a transfer switch There is a picture in the forum under generators pg 2 oct 16 There is also some info of when I installed it somewhere here ?Frank
Great. Thanks for the info. Thats what I needed to get going with the research into doing this.

DRMousseau

Jus did this today myself!!! Thought it strange that a 50A outlet was in the "Utility Box" near the shoreline.

The Onan 4.0 BGE was disconnected and removed because of a problem of some sort,.... it wouldn't start. A quick look at the manuals in the member section and I saw that the outlet was a typical installation in many RVs. A quick check of the lines showed that it did indeed run back to the junction box in the genny compartment, from which the genny was disconnected.

Seemed to have a starter problem. Hit the switch, loud click,... but nothing. Traced power into and thru solenoid and to starter terminal. This had been setting for quite sometime with only 500hr on it. Dissembled starter, cleaned armature and tested,... everything worked fine then. Reinstalled and TA DA!!! Engine was now turning over. Next was the fuel pump, also disconnected from tank, but didn't hear that familiar hummm that said it was working. Checked lines to tank... blew in the line, bubbled in the tank, suck on the line lightly,.. could feel fuel coming and going back to tank when released,... line and filter good. Removed fuel pump and bench tested. Continuity good, so I began disassembly,... I can STILL smell lacquered fuel, YUCK!!! Removed cap from bottom of fuel pump for inspection and SURPRISE!!! These ARE NOT your typical electric fuel pump!!! Talk about safety systems,... NICE!!! Solenoid type pump,... plunger was a bit sticky. Cleaned and operating fine now,... will order parts and seals soon.

Took a bit to get fuel into carb,... didn't clean or inspect float bowl or needle, only because it popped a bit and startled me,... no muffler on it right now, but will install it back on tomorrow. Hit the switch again and held for a few pops and it fired off like it knew jus what was supposed to do!!! Shut it down, plugged shoreline into that 50A outlet and fired it off again. Went inside and checked operation and turned on AC unit,... AWESOME!!! Works hard with AC, Sharp Carousel microwave, and household fridge all running at once.

Couldn't ask for any better,... LUV these Onans!!!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

JerryP

Been there, done that with not knowing to plug in the plug. :) 
Also, on the generator there is an On/Off switch for the generator part of the generator. It is located on the side where a pull start would be, and makes the generator generate.
On mine, there is a push button fuse under the hood, that does something with the power controller box, if you notice he batteries are not charging with the generator running, and things are not working that should be.

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

lngfish

My Generator is a 4.0 BGE, yeah I think Fuel Pump is 120 VAC. Mine went bad once, pricey. I have no idea how it works inside however, I just changed it out one. Did you figure out how it works? I'm just curious. Steve

Rickf1985

lngfish