My Latest Project: Hitch Mounted Grill

Started by JessEm, September 14, 2015, 10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessEm

It started with a heavy-duty bike rack I picked up for $10 at a garage sale. Then, I cutoff the old ball hitch on my MH and mounted a 2" receiver.

I found a sacrificial grill on CL for $30, and only a mile from my house! I removed the grill from its base and made a mounting bracket from 3/16 steel. Then I cut down the bike rack and bolted it to the grill.

The hose is 6' long with a quick-connect fitting. It fits through a little hole in my propane door, so the door actually remains closed. It seems like it was designed for this.

The set-up... The table folds down to make for a nice compact unit. I looked at a lot of grills before I found a good looking candidate for this little project. And then I got lucky. Made in the USA, just like my Winnebago.

Rescued from the garage attic and re-purposed, my boat motor cover doesn't actually fit my motor, but it makes for a great grill cover! Cinch-ropes around the bottom keep everything in place when the table is down.

"Shakedown run"  :D with chicken kabob. Mmmmm ... Of course this works in any 2" receiver so I can use it in my truck too!  :)

M & J

M & J

LJ-TJ

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

One question, Where is your gasoline tank vent? On a hot day it will be constantly venting gas vapor. Need I say anymore?

Yea Kevin, I know. Doom and gloom. W% Hm? D:oH!

JessEm

Quote from: Rickf1985 on September 15, 2015, 09:55 AM
One question, Where is your gasoline tank vent?

I dunno. i?? Is it next to our camp fire, where we usually sit and smoke cigarettes??  Hm? I really don't know.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on September 15, 2015, 09:55 AM
One question, Where is your gasoline tank vent? On a hot day it will be constantly venting gas vapor. Need I say anymore?

Yea Kevin, I know. Doom and gloom. W% Hm? D:oH!

LOL!!! 
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

Doom and gloom but hopefully no BOOM! On the later ones and at least some of the earlier ones the gas tank vent went out under the rear bumper.

kenwautoone

Where can I get achrome spare tyre cover with big W?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Hmm, crazy GM P30 people.  Do they not know Dodge tanks vent through the gas cap?  Sheesh   :laugh:
[move][/move]

circleD

They did vent to the rear bumper to keep odors away from the living area. I rerouted mine. I have a GoGriller I put in the hitch. Make the grill detachable with legs and still hook it up to LP.

JessEm

Yes, Hopefully no BOOM!

Quote from: kenwautoone on September 15, 2015, 08:23 PM
Where can I get achrome spare tyre cover with big W?

Believe it or not, I may be able to help with that. I will send you a PM when I find out. This time a year ago the answer would've been a resounding, "yes", but now I have to check...

The cover with the W is metal. It's flat, with the edges rounded-over to slightly cover the edge of the treads. I added a fresh coat of paint and the W myself. The chrome 'band' covers the treads, as well as the rounded-over part of the sidewall cover, then it cinches together to lock everything in.

1990HR

ClydesdaleKevin

We have ours mounted right behind the front passenger tire, just forward of the compartment.  Its a Napolean grill, all marine grade stainless steel.  And the pedestal removes quickly for stowing away when traveling.

Kev

TripleJ

Nice grills! Giving me ideas.... Hm? Hm?
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28