6.5K Onan NHE not cranking

Started by WyzrdX, September 12, 2015, 12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyzrdX

OK I got a new HR Aluma Lite XL and while I tested everything beforehand I have found one issue.

When I took it for a ~60 mile round trip drive The Genny was running the whole time blowing cold air into the cockpit (chassis air is kaput). After my wife loading it up she started getting hot since there was little air flow. I went to start the genny and nothing.

Battery is connected and getting 12v to the generator start switch. Fuse is good. But for some reason it will not crank. Not even an attempt. I looked all over this Holiday Rambler for a 12v disconnect just to see if it was off (even though all the lights are working and I am getting power to the generator).

Anyone have any ideas what I am missing? PO is coming out tomorrow to check it out since we all know it was working, but if I can figure it out before it would save him a trip.

BTW I have looked over the manuals and can not find any reason it wont crank except

1. Loose battery connections - TESTED
2. Blown Fuse - TESTED
3. 12v Disconnect - NOT TESTED CANT FIND ONE
"The only source of knowledge is experience" - Albert Einstein

A Crowded Camper is better than an Empty Mansion.... Says Who?????

1990HR

Could be the solenoid went out on the starter. You hear a clicking sound? If not the solenoid is not pulling the plunger down to the contacts. Could use a jumper from the + cable going to the starter over to the motor lead of the starter. If it cranks just the solenoid went out.

Rickf1985

Have you tried starting it back at the generator itself? Remote plug could have come out or loose.

WyzrdX

90  There is no clicking at all. havent yet tried to use a jumper.

Rick  Yeah I tried it at the generator and it does nothing. Almost like it is not getting power but it is. I have never seen these symptoms except with a 12v disconnect and yet I cant find one. I worked on it a bit last night and nothing so I guess I will wait til he gets here today.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" - Albert Einstein

A Crowded Camper is better than an Empty Mansion.... Says Who?????

jmerritt

Have you checked the ground at the generator to make sure it is good. Meter the 12v connection at the starter solenoid from the battery to a ground on the generator. If you have 12v you are good to the solenoid and the ground is good.

John

DaveVA78Chieftain

Make sure fuse F1 is good
Is voltage present on the starter cable side of the K1 solenoid when switch in start?
Clean the connections on the A1 control board.  The K4 start relay (on the A1 board) has to energize for the K1 start solenoid can be energized, the fuel pump to get power, and the coil to get power.

CR2 has to be good for the K1 and fuel pump to be energized
CR3 has to be good for the ignition coil to get power

All that stuff, except the fuse, is on the A1 board.
[move][/move]

Oz

WyzrdX = Please change the first post title to that it summarizes your question - per the message posting rules.  Just putting in the generator model is insufficient.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca