Laptop desk on the dash

Started by TerryH, September 09, 2015, 07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerryH

RollerGirlBianca asked me to post some pics of what I did. This is my first time posting photos, so if I've done it wrong I ask Mark's forgiving and assisting.
This doesn't fit RGB's post so I'm starting a new topic.
I always found it a pain in the neck to have to pull out and set up my laptop every time I need it an have to put it away after.
I also never liked the way the windshield curtains closed off the entire dash and felt that the large dash area in front of the passenger seat was wasted space. I also find the seat comfortable.
This is what I came up with:
I moved my windshield curtains and tracks as far forward as I could so they now sit very close to the windshield.
The top of the "desk" slides out so the keyboard is comfortable to use while seated in the passenger seat.
The "drawer" portion hold the two side shelves, mouse and cables when not in use.
12V and 120V are both very nearby.
I find it works quite well for me when using. When not using it's not in the way. I do put a white towel over the laptop in sunny weather.
Hope this helps, Bianca.
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

ClydesdaleKevin

Awesome!  I was fortunate enough to have a small fold out table behind the passenger seat...which swivels completely around...to use as my computer desk.  But your solution is beautifully simple and elegant!  I like it!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

M & J

Well Done Terry. The pics and your setup look brilliant.
M & J

HandyDan

Nice.  I like it, but I have a similar situation as Kevin with the small fold out table that works well.  I really like what you have done and I agree that the wide space behind the windshield is wasted space. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Nurso52

I love that laptop on the dash where can I buy one

TerryH

Thanks.

I made mine myself. Not terribly difficult with basic woodworking skills.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

LJ-TJ

:)clap Well now doesn't that look special. WOW! You did a supper job on that. Looks fantastic. When are you going to post the drawings so the rest of us can make one. Hm? :)ThmbUp