Update on the Nature's Head composting toilet.

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, August 31, 2015, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

So we've been using this composting toilet for a couple of years now...and all was well until we started to get these nasty little drain flies.  They would get in peat moss compost and mess with the composting process, and then little maggots would appear!  We tried all kinds of chemicals, but the little buggers just kept coming back no matter what. 

And then we tried one last thing in a last ditch effort before throwing it away and getting a regular toilet again:

Diatomaceous earth!  2 cups added to the 2 gallons of peat moss every time you change it out (which for us is about every 3 weeks)...and BINGO!  It really works!  We haven't had a single nasty drain fly since!  Totally non toxic to humans and pets, and its pretty cheap to buy. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

FYI It is also excellent to get rid of bed bugs if you ever get them !  :(Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

JessEm

Rickf1985

joanfenn

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL!  Edited for spelling.  I figured it was close enough, and spell check wasn't any help.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Or perhaps we should leave it as my original spelling, to be "punny!"  DIE, Tenacious Buggers!

Kev

Rickf1985

DaveVA78Chieftain

For those (like me) who have no clue: Diatomaceous Earth

Scroll down to Pest Control
[move][/move]

Chandler Lewis

Fearless1

Sorry, but I have to disagree about the appropriateness of that song. That song makes one want to cry in their beer. A better song would be one of happiness and cheer, for ALL the crawling insects are dead or dying after coming into contact with Diatomaceous Earth, including fleas and ticks, whether on your pet or not. :)clap [/size] Get it at Lowes or HD for cheap, online and other places, sometimes not so cheap. Froggy 1936, Frank, is right about DE killing bed bugs, however it could take about ten (10) days. A better solution would be Kleen-Free Naturally. As the name states, it is natural, and best of all, it works, instantly, and leaves a residue for prolonged protection. Highly concentrated, one (1) ounce to a quart of water. Good Stuff Maynard! :)ThmbUp
Fearless1 - Just like my 26 lb. "Texas Miniature Chihuahua," Bambi-aka-Miss Priss
Be Alert!.....The world needs more lerts!

Fearless1

Sorry, but I have to disagree about the appropriateness of that song. That song makes one want to cry in their beer. A better song would be one of happiness and cheer, for ALL the crawling insects are dead or dying after coming into contact with Diatomaceous Earth, including fleas and ticks, whether on your pet or not. Get it at Lowes or HD for cheap, online and other places, sometimes not cheap.

Froggy 1936, Frank, is right about DE killing bed bugs, however it could take about ten (10) days. A better solution would be Kleen-Free Naturally. As the name states, it is natural, and best of all, it works, instantly, and leaves a residue for prolonged protection. Highly concentrated, one (1) ounce to a quart of water.

Good Stuff Maynard!  :)ThmbUp
Fearless1 - Just like my 26 lb. "Texas Miniature Chihuahua," Bambi-aka-Miss Priss

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteSorry, but I have to disagree about the appropriateness of that song. That song makes one want to cry in their beer. A better song would be one of happiness and cheer, for ALL the crawling insects are dead or dying after coming into contact with Diatomaceous Earth, including fleas and ticks, whether on your pet or not.  :)clap
Get it at Lowes or HD for cheap, online and other places, sometimes not so cheap.

Froggy 1936, Frank, is right about DE killing bed bugs, however it could take about ten (10) days.
A better solution would be Kleen-Free Naturally. As the name states, it is natural, and best of all, it works, instantly, and leaves a residue for prolonged protection. Highly concentrated, one (1) ounce to a quart of water.
Good Stuff Maynard!  :)ThmbUp

Fearless1: Is that what you meant to say?  Or where you afraid to?   :laugh:
[move][/move]

Fearless1

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on September 15, 2015, 08:27 PM
Fearless1: Is that what you meant to say?  Or where you afraid to?   :laugh:
That's exactly what I wanted to say/post, but couldn't post with smiley.

My, Ole My, "afraid to?" Didn't you read My name? Fearless 1, no not afraid, NEVER.   :)rotflmao