I am DEVASTATED!!!

Started by DRMousseau, August 31, 2015, 03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRMousseau

Friday shortly before noon,... the ol' Winnebago stumbled, and fell HARD!!!

About an hour into a 250mi weekend journey, with my daughter, veteran son-in-law, his service dog, and my two young grandchildren,... the drag link suddenly dropped free, and left me without steering control, on the I-75 expressway in North Michigan. As I quickly reduced speed, it drifted from the road surface, across the paved shoulder, and into a broad grassy ditch, where it abruptly turned and slammed hard into the opposing bank, and was thrown onto it's drivers side.

Injuries ranged from a minor scratch on 3yr old granddaughter's hand and the sever bruising of my daughter, to those of more serious nature requiring hospital treatment. My 12yr old grandson received sever scrapes to his face from windshield impact, and fractures in his left arm. His Veteran dad, my son-in-law, was severely thrown about. Several staples for gashes in his head, and grave concerns of more serious head injuries. He was also battered harshly by flying objects and debris. The dog, although buried in debris, was uninjured as was I.

Passing motorists helped evacuate the injured thru the door which was above us inside. I kicked out the remainder of the drivers side windshield and led the large dog thru it. Among the motorists who assisted, were retired marines, and compassionate families. They tended injuries and brought us water and comfort. I am grateful to them all.

The salvage crew did their best,... and after wrapping the rv with several straps, and as gentle as possible, they brought it upright, to its wheels. It now sits in the salvage yard, as I attempt to recover all my possessions from what is left of my home!!! I am soooo thankful that there was relatively minor injuries that will quickly heal, and that there was no loss of life in my family, and so thankful I did not involve other families and motorists. I am thankful there were no fires, or other more disastrous circumstances.

But the loss of my home, has left me devastated!!!!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

Schmitti

shoot, a nightmare for everyone. Fortunately, everything is ausgegeangen quite lightly.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for the rest and you'll soon find a new home.

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

tiinytina

thoughts and prayers are with you...  and your family... 
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Rickf1985

Very sad to hear but glad all walked away.

Elandan2

Oh my!  I am so glad your family and you weren't seriously hurt.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

joanfenn

So sorry to hear that but so glad that everyone is oK.  Joan

LJ-TJ

WOW! Holy Cow! Man it's good to hear everyone is OK. Those few moments must have scared the crap out of you. I've driven that road on the way to Oshkosh Wisconsin. The thing that always bothered me about the roads out there is there's no shoulder or very little and you drop off  into the ditch. WOW! How you do'n? . I can only imagine the chaos you must be going through. I don't know what direction your going to go in but  here are a few Rigs I've found just incase.   If there's any thing we can do to help out just let us know.

http://eastidaho.craigslist.org/rvs/5178060857.html
http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/5133115784.html
http://iowacity.craigslist.org/rvs/5145565328.html
http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/rvs/5171853001.html
http://stcloud.craigslist.org/rvs/5170339588.html
http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/rvs/5144498298.html
http://kalispell.craigslist.org/rvs/5158319090.html
http://twinfalls.craigslist.org/rvs/5194158042.html
http://boise.craigslist.org/rvs/5180129551.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/rvs/5191263479.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/rvs/5197976194.html
http://santafe.craigslist.org/rvs/5133419031.html

intofire1

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
Gil in LA

JessEm

Man I just love your enthusiasm for your Classic on this forum. This is just really disappointing. On the other hand, it's a miracle nobody was seriously hurt. You must've handled it like a pro. In hind sight, after you lost steering, would you have done anything differently? Would locking-up the brakes help avoid the embankment?

This is a scary deal. If someone could post a picture/describe the part that went bad, it's much appreciated.

legomybago

Sorry to read that. I hope everyone is ok. Time to start fighting with the insurance co...and get back on your feet. Best of luck to you and your fam. :)ThmbUp
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

sasktrini

That's terrible.  I hope it turns out to only be a minor set back in the long run.
Corey aka sasktrini

ClydesdaleKevin

Glad everyone made it out of that safe and sound!  Wow!  Hoping you get yourself another classic RV sooner rather than later.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

So sorry to hear you have lost your home on wheels, Glad everyone walked away With only stories of surviveing a crash !Hope your son in law does not have any serious head injurys !Hope you can save all the important stuff & Good luck on finding a replacement ! Frank & Louie
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

MotorPro

I really hope this doesn't stop your travels. Glad everyone is okay.

TripleJ

That's terrible, probably the worst thing that can possibly happen, loss of steering... That is, something causing the steering linkage to become disconnected from the steering wheel.  There's plenty of opportunity of bad things, every time we get behind the wheel... but this is the worst, right next to complete loss of brakes.

However I'm glad to hear you didn't get tangled with oncoming traffic.  See? There's always a bright side...

Best wishes for all of your recoveries, both physical and psychological. :)ThmbUp
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

WyzrdX

I dont know what to say. I honestly hope all parties heal quickly both inside and out. Thoughts are with you and your family.

As for your home, I feel for you and hope it works out. There are many coaches for sale and some may be on here. Lets hope that you get everything you are looking for in you next home.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" - Albert Einstein

A Crowded Camper is better than an Empty Mansion.... Says Who?????

DaveVA78Chieftain

DRMousseau,

Really hate to hear of your misfortune but thankful to hear you family is OK.  I know this really throws your winter plans in a tailspin.  Let us know if there is anything we can help with.

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

Everyone made it out okay, and no one else on the road was involved.  If there's an upside to this terrible turn of events, these are it.  Devastated can hardly express what you must be feeling and what you're going through over it.  I hope you'll be able to overcome and resume your lifestyle.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Lefty

So sorry to hear of your loss! We will keep you and your families in our prayers! I hope you are able to locate another home soon too. Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

ClydesdaleKevin

A friend of ours is selling a 30 foot motorhome for 5K.  Its an early 90s model in great condition, P30 chassis, newer tires, 454 TBI.  If you are interested I can get you more details, like the make and model (which I am unsure of).  I do know that everything works, and its a turn the key and go type of thing...they bought a fifth wheel and truck to travel with instead.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

fasteddie313

I am in northern Michigan, closest to I75 exit 270.. Where abouts are you?

If you can get yourself a new rig maybe you could stop here to get it up to snuff. I have a lot of tools and equipment needed to fix almost anything here.
You could possibly stay here for a few days and whip the new rig up and you may be able to show me the ropes a bit with my rig n learn me some about full timing, win win..

There seem to be a few nice rigs around here at decent prices. What is your budget and what are you looking for?

https://nmi.craigslist.org/search/sss?sort=date&query=motorhome

This one is pretty neat and huge for $1250 but I don't know anything about the model if it's good or what..
77 Travco looks 30'+ with only 8k miles..

https://nmi.craigslist.org/rvs/5189121909.html

It is 32 min (27.6 mi) from my place here..

DRMousseau

Thank-you all for sharing your thoughts, compassion, and support here.

The risks of driving are always present. I stress to others (especially new young drivers), that it's quite inevitable you WILL, at sometime or another, be involved in a vehicle accident if you drive such. Driving carefully is NOT enough! We must also drive thoughtfully AND considerately, for the moment we are careless, thoughtless, or inconsiderate,... will certainly be a tragic moment! If we are careful, thoughtful AND considerate,... such incidents may only be minimal, perhaps with nothing more than a fender scratch.

The sudden failure of the drag link ball-socket, was quite surprising. While I HAVE previously experienced such failures, it was usually a well worn and visibly hazardous component. Such sudden failures typically happen on impact or as the result of stress and is suddenly noticed. This incident was very unique to me. I was aware that that various suspension and steering components were soon in need of replacement before becoming dangerously hazardous. I had recently done the front brake system and closely inspected and lubed steering, and suspension. I noted that kingpin replacement, tie-rod ends, steering box seals, bushings, bearings and more were not in immediate need. Steering play was minimal, easy and smooth, while tracking and alignment were more than acceptable. So good, that the loss of steering WAS NOT immediately noticed!!! In fact,.. the loss was so subtle, I may have traveled several hundred feet, before realizing I had no steering control!!! I will post a pic for you JessEm, and for others because such experience and knowledge can be invaluable to folks.

I would not have done ANYTHING any differently, under the circumstances. My daughter, who closely saw the situation unfold, was amazed in the skills and calm expertise, that she said was far more than she, or anyone she knew would have exhibited in such a panic situation. Perhaps more braking force could have been applied to reduce forward momentum, but the risks of skidding uncontrolled would have been far more serious. Only when the vehicle was near 90degrees in the direction of motion, did I "lock 'em up". At that point the forward motion was only slightly less than direction of momentum, and only 15-20' from inevitable impact. From 55mph, front impact speed was maybe 15mph, momentum slightly or nearly the same. The D20 doesn't "drift" well, and you all know you can't turn exceedingly sharp at 20mph. The plowing tires caused the last few feet of travel to be FAR more sharply turned than otherwise,... and it "tripped" on its side.

Yesterday, we settled costs with the salvage company and began recovery efforts. Costs for site cleanup, towing, and storage, were FAR less than expected... $750 THIS INCLUDES, the costs of towing across the county today, to deliver to my daughters home where we can effect salvage efforts to offset this expense. Many new components have been recently installed and will be either resold or retained for future use in my hoped for "new home". The vehicle was insured minimally, as no value had been yet assessed for my restoration efforts, and these costs and other losses may not be covered. I am fully retired with only minimal Social Security income,... not much to work with here. Winter plans MAY be in a slight tailspin, and a gentle effort will be required to pull out of such.

I really like the lifestyle of full-time RV living, in spite of some limitation and risks, I found it VERY wonderful and accommodating to me AND others!!! I AM seeking a suitable replacement,... this is actually a good time to shop about as many are available at low costs due to the ending summer season and upcoming holiday season. The ol' Winnebago D20 was my first RV, and actually the first and only one I've ever looked at!!! I have since looked a bit closer at alternatives for current consideration. Now knowing what would more closely fit my needs, makes this much easier,... although more critical. And I'm researching far more details of what may be available. Time IS a factor,.. although critical in some ways, it's of little important in other ways. A good general balance is needed overall in every consideration.

Thanks Kevin, but a large condo is a bit extreme for my needs and desires. LoL! But you can bet I have been looking at LJ-TJ's posts of listings. A Classic is always wonderful in simplicity and more, but I am skillfully capable and not adverse to the challenges of modern technology in later designs and models. Again,.. a careful overall balance is desirable and essentially needed.

Again,.. thanks, to EVERYONE!
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

Piraterik

Hey there Dr.  So Glad that You and the Family made it out of the Accident, pretty much unscathed. 

Hind sight being 20/20,  had it might not have helped to have only applied the rear parking brake/vs. hitting the brake pedal, (Too Avoid) introducing even a slightest bit of front wheel braking pressure indifference?.  Not knowing, at what speed, this all tragically started to unfold.  And as this could have turned out completely different. "Thank The Good Lord That It Did Not".

Just thinking (Gets me in trouble),  But it seams like it would have a similar effect to Down Shifting, as thus slowing the vehicle from the rear only. 

This would tend too make one very leery of wanting to get up to Expressway Speed, at anytime.  Especially, if there is no way to keep at least one front wheel steerable.    imo

I bet that everyone is now taking a closer look at their own front ends after your posting this. Thank You.

DRMousseau

Yes! My immediate consideration and thought was to grab the E-brake and downshift,... till the vehicle began a slight drift onto the shoulder. Not wanting to shift weight to the front end because of possibly introducing an instable weight shift OR perhaps an uncontrolled "slide" from rear,... I jus continued firm controlled braking. I had expected "a follow down the valley" and prepared for such actions, but the abrupt turn into valley didn't allow for it. I also had great last minute concerns of continuing up the far side which would undoubtedly have overturned us.

FastEddie!!! I am currently based at my family's home jus outside Kalkaska!!! Yup,... jus down the road from you!!! YOU,... jus MAY have been one to pass us on I-75 Friday, as a similar classic such as yours was greatly noted by us. And while that "condo" is HUGE,... I jus might take a look later today as I pass by to my other daughters home in Kingsley. Thanks!!! I'll SURELY see you sometime soon!!!
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

LJ-TJ

Here's just a thought. Tiny Tina might be able to help out here better. But Tumblebug just finish restoring a I believe a 1975 21footer and I think just maybe, just maybe he might be thinking of parting with it. Super guy. Just might be worth looking into. I think you'd find a 21 footer just perfect for your needs. Just a thought. Hm?