1974 Winnebago Indian custom from PA. "hunting previous owner" to FL.

Started by NottooldNottoyoung, August 02, 2015, 09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

legomybago

The picture of the blown out muff is awesome!!

I feel for Mark, I was cringing looking at the pics myself. The roof is terrible, just looks totally neglected all over, so sad people let them go to sh1t...Happens to so many of them. When you do find a cream puff Winne, your going to spend 6-8K, which for a cream puff vintage RV is still a steal in my opinion.

There's also a thousand+ dollars worth of tires to buy.....What do you do Hm?
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Bnova

Holy buckets!!!  That thing is toast!!  Some folks just truly don't care, what shame.

NottooldNottoyoung

Toast is only toast once toasted...lol

I had high hopes. But she is not totally lost....

brians1969

Bnova

Quote from: NottooldNottoyoung on August 10, 2015, 09:28 PM
Toast is only toast once toasted...lol

I had high hopes. But she is not totally lost....

Oh yeah, anything can be rebuilt, I just wouldn't have the time, patience or money to renovate something in such terrible shape.

Schmitti

I want to reference the pictures do not judge too much - but I think my Winni base looked worse D:oH! :laugh: .
The question is then more, who turns again to judge new or, there are enough people who dare to something in order to sell it to the task to him ... in the US is a market for something there? In Germany only go "crazy" or "enthusiast" to those RV ... and these people are sown very scarce W% ;) .

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

NottooldNottoyoung

Quote from: brians1969 on August 10, 2015, 10:55 PM
Did you buy it?

No. I am still doing some research.
Roof rebuild
Walls
Floor
New bathroom layout
Chassis
Electrical
Last - Upgrading the motor (She runs already)
etc. etc. etc.

The bonus to the sell is he said he would drive it to me.

Bnova

Just out of curiosity, how much would you actually be willing to pay for such a rig?

LJ-TJ

Yeah, I'm afraid I'd have to ask the same question. What's your maxmum dollar you'd be willing to spend. Like I'd spend $500.00 hands down. Or Aw I'd speeeend maybe $1,500.00 if it was nice. Or if it was really nice I might be able to squeez out maybe $3,500.00. I hate to see any Eyebrow Winne hit the scrap yard but man you would be in to so much money to revive that old girl. There's some real nice rigs out there for that kind of money. What exactly are you looking for.? Hm?

Froggy1936

In my opinion Knowing the history of this veh I would pay  $2000.00 for it . Other than a muffler it probably does not need any mechanical work ! It was completely gone over a few yrs back and I doubt it has 1000 mi on it since a complete roof would cost less than $ 500.00 for all the materials needed for a 50 yr roof Incl the inside repairs .At that point it would be ready for a cross country camping trip !  Modifications are not part of getting a rig ready to go They can be done anytime  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Bnova

I guess if you were looking for a project, this would be it, but I couldn't see paying more than a few hundred for it.  You may say there's lots of good parts on it and there may be, but the way it was cared for I'd count everything there as shot with the possible exception of the engine.  And then, how well did he care for that if absolutely everything else left to disrepair and the elements.  The wiring is a real danger, just from looking at the pics. 

But a project none the less for someone.  What a shame Oz did so much and had it so nice.

When I was out searching for a unit for myself I came across so many that were is such terrible shape and I was not willing to accept something like that for the money they were asking.  I wanted a unit that was pretty much ready to go and none of the ones I looked at were good enough.  I finally found the one I bought and it was ready to go and is in really nice shape, just needed a little cleaning and I went through the carb on the gen and I was pretty well set.  The rest was educating myself on how to operate all the systems and how they all work and interact. 

And after looking at all the other units, when it came to shelling out 4700 bucks for this one I felt really good about that.  That's why I cringe when I see 3500 for a rig like 74 Indian here.

NottooldNottoyoung

Quote from: Bnova on August 11, 2015, 01:29 PM
Just out of curiosity, how much would you actually be willing to pay for such a rig?

I need another look over to come up with that price.

NottooldNottoyoung

Quote from: LJ-TJ on August 11, 2015, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid I'd have to ask the same question. What's your maxmum dollar you'd be willing to spend. Like I'd spend $500.00 hands down. Or Aw I'd speeeend maybe $1,500.00 if it was nice. Or if it was really nice I might be able to squeez out maybe $3,500.00. I hate to see any Eyebrow Winne hit the scrap yard but man you would be in to so much money to revive that old girl. There's some real nice rigs out there for that kind of money. What exactly are you looking for.? Hm?

I am looking for a 70's Winnebago! I find such beauty in the 70's Winnebago's. I do not mind hard work to get it live able. I will not pull the trigger unless I know what I am getting into. I am doing my research. If he sells it or scraps it before we talk again....It is what it is!

NottooldNottoyoung

Quote from: Froggy1936 on August 11, 2015, 08:13 PM
In my opinion Knowing the history of this veh I would pay  $2000.00 for it . Other than a muffler it probably does not need any mechanical work ! It was completely gone over a few yrs back and I doubt it has 1000 mi on it since a complete roof would cost less than $ 500.00 for all the materials needed for a 50 yr roof Incl the inside repairs .At that point it would be ready for a cross country camping trip !  Modifications are not part of getting a rig ready to go They can be done anytime  Frank

I think $500 is a little low. I think $1000-$1500 for a new roof, floor and open the walls and check them out.

I do agree it can be road ready with a little work. And Mods can be done anytime.

Bnova

Quote from: NottooldNottoyoung on August 11, 2015, 10:19 PM

I think $500 is a little low. I think $1000-$1500 for a new roof, floor and open the walls and check them out.

I do agree it can be road ready with a little work. And Mods can be done anytime. [size=78%] [/size]

And of course, you're the one that went to look at it, not me or anyone else.  We all know that they all can look really good in a pic, and then when you get there you see something totally different.  In this case looking at the pics, it appears to me to be really toasty, but if I was actually there looking at it physically I might see something totally different. 

I looked for two years before I found what I was looking for.  Sounds like you may have found your beast.

Rickf1985

Quote from: Froggy1936 on August 11, 2015, 08:13 PM

500.00 for a complete roof? Rubber alone will be that much, am I missing something. And what roof will last 50 years? I must have fallen kind of behind the technology here.

Bnova

Quote from: Rickf1985 on August 12, 2015, 08:38 PM
500.00 for a complete roof? Rubber alone will be that much, am I missing something. And what roof will last 50 years? I must have fallen kind of behind the technology here.

I agree, just read a post from a member here who just redid the roof, 1900 and some dollars.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Original roof was a plywood/foam sandwich with a thin aluminum cover sheet that is normally covered over (painted) with a elastomeric roof covering.
Many RV's have just a fiberglass roof (e,g. TRAVCO and bus style RV's)
Many modern day RV's (especially trailers) use the rubber roof.

Many ways to skin the cat.
[move][/move]

legomybago

So this is still posted. After seeing the all the pictures of the interior and current shape of this rig, I came back and reread again what the seller wrote on the add...ABSOLUTE MISLEADING.  Doesn't say anything about roof damage or mold??? I would be pissed if I drove any distance to see this rig with being mislead. They make it sound like the rig is ready to go?

http://ocala.craigslist.org/rvs/5130828462.html

Sorry OZ ???
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Oz

I can tell you the current owner had all the good intention of continuing the restoration and improvement of the Pharaoh's Chariot.  And consider, he paid for a flight from FL to MD, then paid for a limo service to come to PA, cash in hand, intent on buying this RV, sight unseen, then paid for the gas to drive it all the way back to FL.  About 100 miles from his home, the water pump gasket blew.  He did an emergency fix using a plastic soda bottle and got it home.  He'd enthusiastically rattled off a whole list of things he was going to do with it as he surveyed it,  but who really knows what became of his situation after he got it home?  Maybe his financial situation changed for the worse?  That's why we had to sell it, otherwise, we'd still have it today.  Maybe other things.. the house, cars, maybe medical expenses took precedence.  I just don't believe (and don't want to believe) he just lost interest and let it go like that after all he went through to get it.

And, I sincerely appreciate all the empathetic condolences from you all.  We've made so many friends and have so many memories because of this RV.  Quite a few members had a part in the rejuvenation of it too.  My heart breaks over it but, it happens and all we can do is be thankful for everything the Chariot added to our lives.

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca