Brake Caliper grease?

Started by kennyrodgers, December 16, 2015, 06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyrodgers

Hey all,
Just wondering what you guys use to grease the calper sliders with then I'll see if I can find an equivalent here in the UK.
Thanks in advance,
Pete. ;)
J.F.D.I

ClydesdaleKevin

I personally never grease them.  Whenever I have to replace the pads, I just drop in the new ones, button it all back up, and away we go.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

There is a specific high temperature grease made just for brakes. Kevin, it is always a good idea to grease the slides on these brakes, otherwise they tend to drag a lot. It takes very little grease, mainly just enough to prevent rust and binding but not enough to make a mess.

legomybago

This is what I use.
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24110-Ultra-Brake-Caliper/dp/B000HBNV6W
Grease the back side of the brake pad where the caliper piston makes contact. If you have guide pins, clean and re-grease. I have not used grease on the slides myself, but I may on my next brake job to experiment. Like Rick said, use very little if you do.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Hahn007

I have always had good luck with "SIL-GLYDE" made by AGS.
It is a high temperature silicone lubricant.
As stated above you only put a very thin film on friction surfaces.
Kind of pricey, but a tube will practically last you a lifetime......

Rickf1985

Quote from: legomybago on December 16, 2015, 11:25 AM
This is what I use.
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24110-Ultra-Brake-Caliper/dp/B000HBNV6W
Grease the back side of the brake pad where the caliper piston makes contact. If you have guide pins, clean and re-grease. I have not used grease on the slides myself, but I may on my next brake job to experiment. Like Rick said, use very little if you do.

Yup, that's the stuff but I don't put it on the back of the pad. They make an anti-squeal for that and it is in that link at the bottom. Too much of a chance for the grease to migrate to the face of the pad from the back when they get red hot, which they do.

TripleJ

sil-glyde was the product we used in the Olds/GMC dealership I worked at in the 90's, supplied by the shop. I just recently replaced the tube that I had left over from the dealer.

Ive always applied it to every iron surface that touches another iron surface when doing brake jobs.  I do a customers brake job the same as I do my own.  Ive never had an issue with contaminating the pads as far as I know.
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

bluebird

I never use grease either, it collects dirt and grit. I do use a wire wheel on a 4 in. grinder and clean as much rust off as I can. I make sure all scale is removed, from the sliding surfaces.

DRMousseau

I always worry of grease, oils and such reaching a melting temp and "traveling" thru dust and dirt and transferring into unwanted areas. Silicones are the worst in transferring to where ya don't want.

Always had a preference instead, for a good hi-temp anti-seize compound on brake slides, pad slides and pins,... jus thin lite coating to prevent binding, corrosion, and rust. It does attract brake dust, but highly resistant to water, traveling, and never have any parts seize or rust together nor any scale in these areas coated. I use it for brake-line connections and bleeder screws too, as well as on contact faces of alloy wheels to the rotor face. Saves a lot of headaches later when these all need to come apart again for repair or maintenance.

I DO NOT use anything on the caliper piston,.... jus keep it clean, sealed with good boots and thinly coated with nothing more than brake fluid.

The compounds on the back of pads,... anti-squeal compounds,... work by dampening the resonant vibrations causing high-pitched brake squeal. A good set of pads include a thin metal or rubber plate backing that does the same and I haven't used such compounds for years.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

kennyrodgers

Bit of a late reply guys but thanks for the help. I struggled to find something suitable in the UK so after talking to the Truck Tech at my work he suggested I use Copper slip. All done and sorted and many thanks.
Pete.
;)
J.F.D.I