Service light

Started by Dolores, December 30, 2015, 04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolores

Hi there,  I have been told that the way to turn off the Service engine light on my 93 Brave dashboard......is to switch the ignition on and off 50 times.  Is someone pulling my leg, or is this genuine?

Rickf1985

Pulling your leg, yes. If there is a hard code set, in other words the computer sees something wrong then the light will stay on regardless of how many times you do that. Haven't you had issues with service engine lights before? You know that you can buy OBD code readers fairly cheap nowadays. You just need to find out if it is OBD I or OBD II. With the code reader you can find out what the code is and then look it up and most code readers will allow you to reset the light.

DaveVA78Chieftain

1993 would be a OBD1 System with TBI and a ALDL connector

Key ON, engine OFF, Short pins "A" and "B" on ALDL connector to flash the OBD1 codes on the Service Engine Soon light.

A code will keep the light lit as long as the fault is present.

The light will automatically go out 10 seconds after the fault is cleared however, the original code will remain in memory for the next 50 start cycles at which point it is automatically cleared (assuming the fault is no longer there).

Disconnect chassis battery for 30 seconds to clear stored codes from memory.
[move][/move]