1974 Winnebago Indian custom from PA. "hunting previous owner" to FL.

Started by NottooldNottoyoung, August 02, 2015, 09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NottooldNottoyoung

http://ocala.craigslist.org/rvs/5130828462.html

I am very interested in this Winnebago. I talked to the new owner that is selling it and we have arranged a meeting this weekend. During our discussion he mentioned he bought this Winnebago from a member here, but can not remember the members forum name. So I am on the hunt. I am curious if the owner from PA still has pictures of the days he/she owned it.

joanfenn

I put my detective skills to work and that was Marks chariot.  Our fearless leader.  I thought I recognized the picture.  Quick what do I win?

Oz

Yes, it was the flagship of CWVRV.  I did a lot to it and enjoyed it immensely.  Our extended family had many, many great memories with "The Chariot".

The new owner told me he was very adept at mechanical and all other aspects of RV maintenance, repair, and improvement.

Here's the link to my photo albums:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=50

If I hadn't had to sell it, I never would have.  When I was living in Florida, I had hoped the new owner would put it up for sale so I could buy it back, but of course, that didn't happen.  But all I care is that it continues its legacy of making memories for its owners, whoever they may be.

The only thing I see done to it from the ad is new brakes and he installed a generator.  All the rest, as you'll see from comparison from my albums, I did, including the air bag suspension and Bilstein shocks on all four corners.

At $3,500, given the motor and all is still runnning good and the roof is still in good repair, it's a good price.  $3,000 and it would be a great price.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

That is absolutely perfect to find one with a documented history complete with pictures and contact with the original owner. PRICELESS!

NottooldNottoyoung

Quote from: joanfenn on August 02, 2015, 10:49 PM
I put my detective skills to work and that was Marks chariot.  Our fearless leader.  I thought I recognized the picture.  Quick what do I win?

A high five....lol

NottooldNottoyoung

Quote from: Oz on August 02, 2015, 11:08 PM
Yes, it was the flagship of CWVRV.  I did a lot to it and enjoyed it immensely.  Our extended family had many, many great memories with "The Chariot".

The new owner told me he was very adept at mechanical and all other aspects of RV maintenance, repair, and improvement.

Here's the link to my photo albums:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=50

If I hadn't had to sell it, I never would have.  When I was living in Florida, I had hoped the new owner would put it up for sale so I could buy it back, but of course, that didn't happen.  But all I care is that it continues its legacy of making memories for its owners, whoever they may be.

The only thing I see done to it from the ad is new brakes and he installed a generator.  All the rest, as you'll see from comparison from my albums, I did, including the air bag suspension and Bilstein shocks on all four corners.

At $3,500, given the motor and all is still runnning good and the roof is still in good repair, it's a good price.  $3,000 and it would be a great price.

Correct me if I am wrong. The gentleman that owns it now bought it from you? I was under the impression that the person he bought it from forum name started with a P.

The owner informed me what has been done to it. The only thing that hasn't been fixed is the refrigerator. He has expressed that it will need a new coat on the roof or one can install the custom trusses he had made for the roof to give it a small curve. The generator is a newer model and I can't remember if he had the original. He says it roarrrrs like a loin in the city and purrrrs like a kitten on the highway. Fuses have been updated and I believe he has all the parts to update the plumbing. 

I am super excited to see this beauty in person.

Time to go check out your link....thank you

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp Yep! That's the one that used to belong to our e lustrous leader............The OZ, aka the Pharaoh. A lot and I mean a LOT of work went into that old girl. She should be in pretty good shape. What do you think Mark want her back. >GRIN< Kidding. :laugh:

Lefty

"Correct me if I am wrong. The gentleman that owns it now bought it from you? I was under the impression that the person he bought it from forum name started with a P. "

That would be "The Pharaoh".. which is also Mark's nickname here. I can assure you that the rig in question IS Mark's Winnebago.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Oz

Yes, I recall him saying he was going to give it a curved roof.  There was some water damage right above the entry door, but I sealed it well and it didn't get worse, and it wasn't a problem.

The Chariot did not have a generator when I bought it, so what he installed, he acquired on his own.

And yes, she does roar and purr.

I installed the Norcold fridge and it's common for the electric option not to work with them.  But, it's large and gets nice and cold on LP gas, so I guess we both figured that was just fine.

It already has a replacement water tank with on-demand pump, so there shouldn't be much to update in the plumbing.  The water heater worked excellent.  I did have the furnace running the first year I had it, but I never ran it after that.  I even added a vent to the hall since the one going into the goucho bedroom heated the heck out of the floor right in front of the bed, but not very effective otherwise.  Well, you'll see most of the things I did in my albums

I put a lot of explanatory and descriptive comments with my photos in my albums.  They will tell you a lot about what you're going to see.

Rickf1985

NottooldNottoyoung

I have been through your album a few times. The palm trees burned my eyes. lol. I see palm trees everyday...lol

We have scheduled a meeting this weekend.

NottooldNottoyoung

Oz

Quote from: NottooldNottoyoung on August 04, 2015, 12:51 PM
I have been through your album a few times. The palm trees burned my eyes. lol. I see palm trees everyday...lol

My wife decorated with the palm trees.  I thought it was fine, but too much of it.  Still, it was okay, most of it was accessories which are easily removed.

We lived in St. Pete for 3 years until this last fall and we loved seeing them every day.  That's the nice thing about RVs, they're like a home... who cares what other people like, you decorate it for what YOU like, or in this case, what WE liked. If you get it, you can decorate it however you like and it if burns my eyes, it doesn't matter because it'll be your baby then.

NottooldNottoyoung

2 hr drive and I get to see the Winnebago with my own eyes.

Here are all the pictures I took.

Poor video quality...

M & J

M & J

LJ-TJ

Holy Cow Mark! That's got to be a heart breaker. Sorry Mate. WOW!  :-[ :( :'(

Oz

Well, the roof was obviously left to go to the weather.  None of that water damage was like that when I had it.  Looks like the muffler totally blew out too.

With the roof requiring a total replacement, no way is $3,500 a good price. $2,500 perhaps.  He bought it from me for $2.000 and it was in better shape than now.  The roof was still solid and didn't leak.  The generator is a plus to adding value for offsetting the roof.  And since the roof edges have obviously been left to split open, it's likely there is water damage to the side walls as well and most likely the wood below the belt line.

Oh, and the converter in the back was an upgrade.  I put it in but didn't know how to wire it so it didn't get done.

I painted the exterior white with Rustoleum and that looks like it still looks good 8 (9?) years later.

When the buyer left with it, he left me with a good feeling that the repairs and upgrades were going to continue and it would be better than ever.  So, yes, it does hurt to see it like this, but it's not anywhere near beyond repair and although the interior is a bit disheveled, it would look good once cleaned up.

LJ-TJ

Well! Looking at it and guessing what it will cost to clean it up and get everything working again and knowing what parts are worth, I wouldn't offer the guy any more than $1,000.00 for it. Your going to half to put a new roof on and that's not cheap. That's if you do the work your self. Dilber re did the roof on his rig and did an excellent job documenting it here. I wouldn't use the roof truss that that chap made up but a full 2X4 cut to shape like Dilber and others have used. She could be a nice rig again but you'd have your work cut out for you. Don't forget to let us know how you make out. D:oH! Hm?

Piraterik

Quote from: LJ-TJ on August 09, 2015, 07:53 AM
I wouldn't use the roof truss that that chap made up but a full 2X4 cut to shape like Dilber and others have used. She could be a nice rig again but you'd have your work cut out for you. Don't forget to let us know how you make out. D:oH! Hm?

Why use 2X4 lumber at all! . . .  With today's new building materials, I would purchase and cut them from a LVL.,  Laminated Veneer Lumber.  Which in my opinion, would not only be more ridged. (more Load Bearing)   But also more durable.  And with the glues that are used to make them,  less susceptible to dry rot.  Just a Thought. :)ThmbUp

LJ-TJ

Why a 2X4? That's old school and sometimes it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. You young bucks no all the tricks with s#*t. :)clap :)rotflmao

Oz

I'd say the choice could come down to cost between the wood and the fake wood.  Load bearing difference doesn't matter in this application and dry rot isn't an issue if the roof exterior layer is good and doesn't leak  However, if the $$ is there, then the fake wood wood be the better choice because of the reasons mentioned, or wood it?   ???

I thought the trusses he made were a bit too high.  The curve only needs to be a little bit, like  2x4s trimmed, as previously mentioned, and they need to be graduated in height or it's going to be tough to make a smooth transition from the front glacia and the rear edge level heights.

Ideally, using the graduated height would allow for water to gravitate off the roof in all directions.

brians1969

Here was my roof rebuild:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,10111.msg57260.html#msg57260

I used 2x4 for the roof beams 16" on center. I left the center 16" flat and then angled it to each end, ending up with 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 at the ends (can't remember!) I hit the sharp angles with a grinder.  The front 3 beams were gradually cut down in overall  height. I was going to just cover the roof with 1//4" exterior, but it felt rather spongy. Since I had to have the plywood delivered and was already using it as ceiling material, I first thru down a layer of 5mm underlayment luan. Then the plywood. Felt much sturdier when walking on and didn't add significant weight. I then covered everything with 8oz. cloth and epoxy resin.

NottooldNottoyoung

Thank you so much for all the info provided.

A curved roof is something I would install.

I did feel a soft spot on the floor under the table.

Rickf1985

Man! I hate seeing something that someone put so much work into just let go like that. He could have at least tarped it to keep the water out. That mold did not form while they were camping, that has been just sitting neglected.

LJ-TJ

I here yeah Mate. I remember back in the day when Mark was trying to get her up and going in order to get to a Classic Winnebago rally and the group all pitch in to get her going. We had the best mechanics on the job and she had been gone over with a fine tooth comb. Ran like a dream. Mark had the interior just spic and span. We got her to the rally and she looked MAGNIFICENT. I just can't believe someone would just ignore it to a point it would look like that. WOW. D:oH!