Do I really need the freshwater holding tank?

Started by Vanessa, July 31, 2015, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanessa

I am thinking of removing the freshwater tank, because after almost 3 years of living in my 1970 Winnie full-time, I've never used it and I would rather have the extra storage space. The original copper pipes are broken (discovered that the hard way the first time I tried to hook up to city water), so I have come up with my own system of using bottled water and a camping water pump for showers.
Is there a good reason NOT to remove it? Would I still be able to hook up to city water once I replace the broken pipes?

I really appreciate any advice anyone can offer!

Trunkhill1

More power to ya for not using it!  The one thing I could steer you towards maybe is to mount the tank on the roof and plumb it directly to your shower.  Use solar heating to heat the tank and gravity feed to the faucet.  Other than that you sound comfortable with secondary supply.
Cory

Rickf1985

Keep in mind that mounting a water tank on the roof presents several problems. Water is 8.3 lbs. per gallon, that is 83 lbs. for only ten gallons of water. The roof is not designed to hold that considering a ten gallon tank is not very big. Second problem is that it raises the center of gravity of the vehicle substantially.

Vanessa

Thanks for the input! I agree about not putting more weight on the roof. I'm in the midst of removing any unnecessary weight (ancient antenna, etc), scraping and resurfacing the roof right now, hoping to extend the life of it for a few more years before having to rip it off and replace it. 45 years of band-aids over multiple leaks, terrible installation jobs and too little maintenance have left it less than sound! Water and weight are the bane of my existence, so adding it on purpose isn't an option ;)

Chandler Lewis

I'm doing exactly the same thing right now -- but I'm keeping city water. I just used 1/2" Pex from the city water inlet to the copper pipe beneath the fridge (so I can still use the water heater). It wouldn't be too much work for you to plumb your water from your inlet to a point under the sink where it would feed kitchen sink, BR sink, shower and toilet. Plus, if you use Sharkbite fittings, the whole system is kinda plug'n'play. You can take it apart when you want to maybe install a 30-gallon plastic tank in the back some day.

I'm with you, though, on that extra room where the galvenized tanks used to be. I rarely boondock where I'd need tanks of water, but what I do need is a place to store my portable grey water tank/sewer hoses/grill/etc.

Let us know how it goes!

Vanessa

Thanks!!! This is really helpful (and encouraging!). I actually have a newer plastic tank, so I think I'll hold on to it (in my brother's roomy basement, rather than in my tiny Winnie!) just in case I ever change my mind. I really think that the space would be better used for tools and a ladder, especially since I have made it just fine for so long without running water (even boondocking more often than not).
I'll post pics when I get it done!