Replacing/re-arching leaf springs

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 28, 2008, 05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

Sent: 12/2/2003 10:47 PM

Can replacement front & rear leaf springs still be obtained or would they have to be custom made.  Is it OK to have the originals re-arced or would that weaken the already stretched metal?  Can I also get repalcement bushings for them?  Add-a-leaf isn't an option I'm considering.  '74 Indian, 63,000 miles.  Leans to passenger side. - Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Sea Hag

Sent: 12/3/2003 10:41 AM

You may have a broken leaf or two - A good spring shop can make and replace leaves on your old springs or make new ones , and should have all the bushings also . - I wouln't recomend re arching as it would probably involve as much labor as it would to make new ones . Ive found it better to take them the whole spring and let them do the complete job rater than assembling or repairing the springs my self as it can be a pain . --- Sea Hag 

Lefty

Sent: 12/3/2003 10:20 PM

Hi Sob, Good news. Yes you can have leaf springs re-arched without any negative side effects as long as the shop does the work properly. Yes, new bushings are readily available. and yes, there are shops that can make springs from scratch if you prefer that option. There are at least two here in Birmingham Al. Big Moe's Spring &  Alignment and Birmingham Spring. I checked with both and you can ship to them and they will ship back if you do not have a shop near you. Check the Yellow Pages for your area.  Lefty  ps. I can't find a source for your hedders. All of them are for the passenger car heads and will not bolt on to the 440-3 heads. I guess the ports are different. Sorry
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Oz

Sent: 12/3/2003 11:01 PM

Thanks Lefty,

I've heard that there a couple places in nearby York, PA that can re-arch the springs.  In fact, we have a very large custom metal fabrication shop very close here in Hanover that may be able to do them.  I'll see what I can see.  I'm guessing that NAPA may have the bushings?  I have the dodge parts manual.  Should I use that or is there another vehicle I should use for reference? - Sob

Lefty

Sent: 12/3/2003 11:33 PM

What size chassis do you have? I can check tomorrow for the bushings. We carry a few. Lefty  ps. See my new post about my new ride.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Oz

Sent: 12/5/2003 2:05 PM

That reminds me, if you have springs re-arched or re-mfg'd and they're worn-out, how does the place that's doing the work know how much arc to apply?  This seems like something you would only find in the original manufacturer's design blueprints.  Maybe they have a reference chart?  I'll have to remember to ask that when I talk to them - Sob

denisondc

Sent: 12/5/2003 2:36 PM

I once asked about getting springs re-arched, and the business said you can either tell us how much higher you want it to sit than it is sitting, or we can use the standard arch specs for springs of that dimension, width, length, and thickness. denison