Exhaust Wrap: An Easy Fix for Manifold Leak?

Started by JessEm, July 26, 2015, 06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessEm

I'm looking at this exhaust wrap. Says it reduces heat up to 70%. I'm wondering if it could also be used to 'fix' one of those notorious leaks at the manifold? By fix I mean deaden the sound? Any thoughts on this? Anyone try it?

"By wrapping your headers with Thermo-Tec exhaust wrap, you keep exhaust heat in your pipes where it belongs. This reduces underhood temperatures up to 70 percent, and cools the incoming air/fuel mixture to increase horsepower and fuel efficiency. Not only that, but the reduced heat also extends the life of electronic components. Exhaust wrap can withstand continuous heat up to 2,000 degrees F, and installs easily with standard hose clamps or the optional stainless steel Snap Straps."
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/the-11022/overview/

Rickf1985

It will not stop a leak and it will cause major rust and crack problems on a cast iron manifold. Plus you would never be able to get it wrapped on there tight. The original purpose of header wrap was actually to retain the heat inside the headers since that creates better scavenging of the exhaust. The external heat reduction was just a semi-useful by-product. Headers with wrap on them and used on the street do not last long because as they cool down the wrap gets wet from condensation and rots out the headers.