No house power

Started by Kansas88, February 21, 2016, 08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas88

I've been working on getting my 78 winne ready for the summer. When I got it it hadn't run in years, and I'm slowly making progress. I put all new batteries in, the generator is working great. All this time my lights ect in the coach were working. Now suddenly they arent. I checked the breakers, and all is well there. Is there a relay or somthing I could be overlooking?

Bnova

Without seeing the wire diagram for the rig, I'd say that if nothing is working, water pump, lights, etc. probably a battery cable, battery post connection or a solenoid is in need of some attention.  Did the problem occur just after installing new batteries?

Rickf1985

Did you hit any switches on the dash? There may be a battery disconnect switch.

Kansas88

I thought of the switch on the dash. I think it may be bad, but I can't seem to get anything to work jumping wires across the switch either.

Kansas88

Where would the solenoid that would cause this be located?

Bnova

Quote from: Kansas88 on February 21, 2016, 09:31 PM
Where would the solenoid that would cause this be located?

I would think it should be in the battery compartment.

Kansas88

If the switch in the dash was bad, could that cause my problem?

lemortede

Just so I understand, you have lights and power when you run the generator, but no lights or power when you are not plugged into shore or the generator.
When you disconnect shore or turn off the generator do you hear the switch in your converter click and switch?
Mine was sticking so I had power on generator but not on battery. I pulled it apart and cleaned and lubricated the solonoid in the converter with electrical grease. Been working great since.

tiinytina

Also check that the converter is grounded... mine had worked itself loose at some point causing similar issues with all 12V stuff. 
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Rickf1985

And if it is a latching relay it will work off of the coach batteries and if they are dead, or bad, then the relay will not switch over. You may be able to get it to switch over by using the remote charge from the chassis battery if you have that feature. It is another switch where you can switch power to the chassis battery to jump the chassis battery from the house batteries or vice versa. You need o check the house batteries with a meter to see what their condition is before going to deep into this. And also if they are charging on shore power.

legomybago

Quote from: Kansas88 on February 21, 2016, 08:18 PM
I've been working on getting my 78 winne ready for the summer. When I got it it hadn't run in years, and I'm slowly making progress. I put all new batteries in, the generator is working great. All this time my lights ect in the coach were working. Now suddenly they arent. I checked the breakers, and all is well there. Is there a relay or somthing I could be overlooking?
Sounds like they are talking about AC power and/or convertor issues to me.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Kansas88

I found the relay sticking. Cleaned it up and it seems to work fine now.

Bnova