Anyone ever Tow an Eyebrow?

Started by JessEm, July 12, 2015, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessEm

Looking at purchasing another eyebrow Winnie for parts. Currently DOA in someone's yard. Anyone ever tow one of these bad boys? Can I limp it home with my 3/4 ton, or is this a job for a big wrecker? If I do tow it out myself, is there anything out of the ordinary I need to consider? Any help is appreciated. It's a 23ft. Thanks.

Lukewarm256

I own a 68 22 footer. Dead empty I think it pushes 7k lbs.

That would push most f250s over their legal weights. And msot tow straps and chains would be strained or broken. Then, there is the fact that it has 4 wheels, and would NOT make corners. The thing would push/pull the back of the truck where it wanted to go, like a child's toy.

Think it's a job for a big tow truck. Tow ropes are totally out of the question, so unless you got this bad boy on a 10,000+ rated trailer (then youre in CDL holdibg territory) I would say call the wrecker.

LJ-TJ

Here's how some of the lads have done it. If you tow it on a dolly or car hauler or tow bar it's know big deal. BUT your not going to be able to run down the interstate at highway speed. Your going to run 30 MAYBE 40 miles an hour down second dairy roads and you have to remember that you have to start slowing down two maybe three times earlier and with a light foot on the brake than usual. 

khantroll

A 1 ton can do it with a trailer rated for 10k-12k or higher (the one that moved mine was 18k), so long as the trailer has brakes. If you have ultimate faith in your driving ability and there are no steep grades between you, you may be able to get away with it using a towbar and your 3/4 ton.

I'd look for a farmer with a big trailer or an oil field driver and ask if they wanted to make a little cash though (cheaper then a commercial tow truck big enough).

Rickf1985

7,000 lbs. is nowhere near too heavy for a F250! That is a landscape trailer! As far a flat towing it the front tires will turn to follow the towing vehicle and just about any tow truck can handle 7,000 lbs. And a 10-12,000 lb. trailer is nowhere even close to CDL territory.

JessEm

Thanks everyone!!

After reading this, I would be not be afraid with the 250. It's about 45 miles, no steep grades...

HOWEVER,

I forgot I have AAA +Plus RV! ... I've never used it, but I don't see anything stopping me in this instance?!

joanfenn

MotorPro

Is it registered? I needed mine towed home when I bought it. AAA would not tow it until I got it registered.

JessEm

Joanfenn, I agree!  :)ThmbUp

MotorPro, By registered, I assume you mean current tabs?? ... I'm certain they are not... We're doing the paperwork tonight (title, money), and the plan is to tow it Wednesday night. So it's conceivable that I could go get tabs tomorrow... It's extra money I don't necessarily need to spend, but it's an easy work-around to this problem. Thanks for pointing it out. I never would've thought of it.

I will post pics and a description when it's in my possession.  :)clap :)ThmbUp ;)

rustyescott1

i'm the one with  the red dually mooved that motorhome 3 time that way. this week end i will be towing a 78 executive with  same towbar and my other dually. onlw problem is this one weighes 12,500 . just remember go slow make sure tires r aired up fully , lots os breaking distance . SLOW is your friend dont hurry at all. mark rear end  that ur in tow chase car to follow to keep others off ur rear.
Rusty Escott

JessEm

You look like a pro in that red dually! ... Personally, I like what's going on with that flatbed.

Almost took home the '72 Indian tonight. Called AAA. Said they had someone ready for tomorrow, and they would keep looking for someone tonight... I called back and said skip tonight. Didn't want to do it in the dark. FYI, they never asked about the vehicle registration. I might get lucky on that...

The poor Winnie herself is in rough shape. It was one-owner (service station owner and mechanic), until these people bought it in '01 and let it go to hell. I have little doubt the 413 is strong and well cared for, though. The issue when they stopped using it was a bad voltage regulator (said a mechanic friend of theirs). Aside from that, this is another one of those, "Everything works" deals...  W% I guess we'll see.... I got the whole thing for about what I would've paid for just the parts I wanted.  :)ThmbUp

TerryH

To be honest, you said 45 miles, no steep grades. Not too far. F250 has the tow capacity (as a tow vehicle) easily.
Braking consideration is normal for this situation in a towing situation.
. Following (towed)  vehicle having one or possibly two axles on rear and one on  front will not affect steering whatsoever, unless you are towing the towed unit from the rear of the MH. In that case you have to tie the steering wheel/ steering axle/ steering of the vehicle.
Towing from the front, steering wheels/axle will follow the towing vehicle.
Something to consider should you not be used to it is that a following unit - trailer or otherwise -always offtracks . A trailer will always follow the towing vehicle, but always to the high side of the road.
Physics, nothing you can do about it. Semi drivers know this and are aware of it.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

JessEm

Thanks for the input, TerryH. Those are exactly the thoughts I was looking for when I posted this.  :)

Well, the deed is done. Thank again everyone for the help.

For what it's worth, AAA never asked if the registration was current. Not when I called last night, not when I called today. However, the driver did ask if they asked, and he said they should have... Then he covered up the 2002 tabs with his foot and says he doesn't see anything.  :) We both laughed. I gave him a 100 tip cause the thing was buried in the woods behind someone's house. Not exactly what he signed up for.

Also FWIW, I have no reservations about scrapping this thing. It's beyond repair. So fire up the bag pipes, sound the trumpets, and dump your 40's on the ground. Eyebrow #11896 has bit the dust.

joev

put up some pics of this unit so we can see what there is to buy

JessEm

Will do, joev. Tomorrow night or Friday. I will start a post in the 'parts for sale section'.

I did find an interesting looking parts list in some paperwork. It looks like some kind of internal packing list of the parts needed for a 72. I'll post up a scan later.