Restoring exterior panels, how far is enough?

Started by Dill, July 05, 2015, 02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dill

Here is a photo of my RV after doing a few experiments.

http://imgur.com/XulJ7aX

I have debated painting the exterior of the RV but when I removed the FM antenna to put on a new one I was surprised by the shine and original color from factory. I like it!

So now my plan is to restore the old shine as much as possible (within reason) and just repaint the stripes.

Here is the issue... I "restored" four different sections in the picture. Can you tell which was waxed only, polished only, only scrubbed with water and which was compounded, polished, and waxed?

[spoiler]The left is wax only, bottom is polish only, right is compound, polish, wax and top is plain old water and scrub brush[/spoiler]

Obviously a picture does not give all the detail, but from standing at this very moment on my deck I can tell you I cannot tell a difference between the full compound, polish, wax and just the waxed part.

They both feel smooth as glass and on close inspection look identical. From standing a few feet back I "think" I see a difference but my thought could be clouded by the amount of chemicals and arm work I put into it. If it is clearer or shinier it is such a small amount that it brings me to my master question.

Is there a benefit to doing this whole restoration to the whole motor home? We are talking three very strenuous coats of various product and lots of rubbing and buffing. Should I just clean her spotless and put on a high quality wax and just be done with it or should I go all the way when the shine is barely better or even noticeable?

Lastly, is there some product that I am missing? Something that you are thinking of at this very moment saying "well if he tried THIS he would be able to style his hair in the reflection!"

So fellow classic RVers... What's your opinion?

Rickf1985

ZEP commercial floor wax. A lot of boaters and RV people have used it on old finishes.

joanfenn

I gave mine a good scrubbing and put on 4 thin coats of zep with a roller.   Worked great for mine.
:)ThmbUp

Dill

ZEP... I will look into that. Is it a drastic difference over just one coat of automotive wax?

Also what about the area around the water heater. I am full time so curious if the heat from that would damage the finish. What about the front of the RV. Is it made from fiberglass as well?

joanfenn

Take a look at my album.  much easier to apply then a wax with no rubbing and the more coats you apply the shinier it is.  Lasts all year.  Just make sure it is clean before you apply the wax.

Rickf1985

I am not sure about the metal sides but with fiberglass the change is drastic. With metal wax may work just as well.

Dill

Going to find some of this stuff today and try it out one weekend. I think the whole RV is fiberglass as a magnet doesn't stick to any of it. The front and back are smooth compared to bumpy (I'm sure there's a term for it) on the sides.

boogie_man

I spent 2 days with a multi speed buffer. Started with a light duty compound on a wool pad then onto a lite duty spray wax and got it to come back like crazy !!  I even had people on one of our trips ask what year it was lol.  Since I didn't put a good wax over my hard work and let it sit, I get to do it again as I live by the beach with no cover on her, it's fading again but I will put a good wax on it.   If you can get a multi speed buffer, try the compound and wheel in a small area and keep it moving at a low speed so you don't over-heat it.  It's a lot of work but you can get it to come back....good luck.

Rickf1985

I think you will find your sides are aluminum, that is what the picture appears to be. Can't speak for the front and back.