Tune up Onan Emerald 1 Gen tuneup

Started by JerryP, June 30, 2015, 11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryP

Anybody know what is involved, and what parts are needed to tune up, freshen up an Onan Emerald 1 Gen, and a good source of parts.
I looked around online, and did not see anything like a tuneup kit.
Is runs, and charges, but is not sounding right, sometime stops, and is hard to restart, so the first thing to do is a tune up fuel, oil air filter change, spark plug, and maybe a carb cleaning.

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

Rickf1985

You will want to get the manual from here and check it well. These had several versions of points/condensors. And there are two plugs. Getting to the points is a bear, I had to drop mine out to do the replacement. I got my points from Garys place, an e-bay store. Mine had the condensor outside of the points box so I got the wrong kit, make sure you get the right one. I had to relocate my condensor since the screw that held it in place was stripped out and that was what was causing my whole problem, a bad connection on the condensor. Ran like it was running rich all the time and burned the points.

Link to Gary's, It is not an E-bay store as I thought.  http://www.gphope.com/store/cat/57

tiinytina

Onan is now owned by Cummings... some parts avail through there... they do drop down on a hinge to access other plug/points etc. you need a jack under it to drop it.    http://www.queenstownrv.com also has parts. place is local to me if you want me to check for you and ship to you.... dont' know if any cheaper than you can prob. get online though... but nice to have them in hand when you need them.   I also want to install a cut off fuel valve so I can run her dry to winterize. 
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Rickf1985

Tina, Yours may drop down on a hinge but mine I have to jack up and maneuver out on a rolling jack, not fun while balancing with one hand. A jack for a quad would be perfect for this. I am thinking that since Jerry has the same year and model his will be the same. I guess if the insulation at the top of the compartment was not falling down I might have had enough room to do the points but I doubt it. If you drop one of those little screws you will be screwed!

JerryP

I happen to have a motorcycle lift that would work perfect if dropping is needed.
Guess it would allow me to clean it up, and check for any other future problems with old hoses etc.

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

DaveVA78Chieftain

You have 4K BGE Spec F Onan.

Refer to pdf page 22 (manual page 40) of f-1123.pdf for tune up part numbers.
[move][/move]

eXodus

check also the AC Voltage and try to get it under load ! Before you throw parts at it.

I had the exact same one, spent a lot of hours/dollars before I figured out that I had bad winding's. and it was not running good and stopping because of this.
The Emerald I are notorious for shorted stators and rotors. Even only after as little as 200h.

I brought it to an Onan shop, and they just throw it away because the parts are about the same price as a new Microquiet.