Small project - A new center console for the '86 Elandan Limited Edition

Started by zaa, June 29, 2015, 02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaa

Hello all

I just thought I'd share my latest little project, since it turned out so well. The original was all cracked and broken, and I really don't have a need for an ash tray, so I designed a new one that fits our water bottles, cans, coffee cups, etc. There's also room for cell phones, mp3 players, or whatever. It's made from some scrap 3/4" edge glued oak I had from another project. The original light shines into the bottom section, it lights up pretty nice. Later today is more carpet shampooing. I see a spot that needs it :)

Z

Bnova

LJ-TJ

zaa

Hmm, I hadn't really thought about that. I suppose there's no reason I couldn't make parts for others, as long as I had either the original part, or a detailed drawing of what they need. I guess if anyone else wants a console, or other part, I'd be willing to work something out.

Rickf1985

Nice touch with the emblem. That is a nice console, I would buy one.

zaa

I've got a lot to do to my RV over the next couple days, we're getting ready for a trip after the 4th. Once I'm back, I'll get some prices together.

Z

PwrWgnWalt

This looks AWESOME!!!  :)clap

I've long coveted these consoles, and have been considering designing one for my Beach Craft... I have a large flat area between front seats, with just a cubby in the dash. I'd like something utilitarian, for drinks and cell phones. Is this a stand-alone thing, or does it attach as part of a system or ?

Thanks for any insight or ideas!
Walt & Tina

zaa

Sorry I missed your comment, PwrWgnWalt. For some reason, I don't seem to get the notifications when someone comments on my posts, despite having enabled them in the post. Better late than never, I guess.

On my vehicle, the tan plastic console is bolted to the dog house, then the two oak pieces are screwed together with standoffs between the two layers. It works out nice, because there's a little space below it to stash stuff in.

I've been quite busy lately between work, and working on the motor home, but I found time to help make another console for my brother's RV, this time with some color changing lights. It's a rough copy of the one behind it in the picture, with ash trays replaced with cell phone slots, and adjusted openings for larger containers, or mugs. This picture was taken before it was stained. He's since stained it a similar color to the original, it looks really nice.

As far as making them to sell, I really don't have the time right now. Work is crazy. When things slow down, I'll stop back and try to work out some prices. It's tough to guess, since each one would be custom.

Anyway, back to work. *whip crack*

sasktrini

Awesome!!!  I have to lay out my new console, and the device pockets are cool!  Also dabbled with acrylic panel for my dash rebuild lately too... and RGB LEDs, but for something separate.  I love this!

Corey aka sasktrini

PwrWgnWalt

Very nice console you made for your brother!  Thanks for the posts, gives me some great ideas.

Question: on the HR console ( brother's)... did you use clear plexiglass under the top wood, lit by LED, to get that fantastic glow?
And how did you get the HR nameplate to show, a vinyl overlay?

Very nice!!!!   :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)clap
Walt & Tina