New old RV idea wanted

Started by eXodus, June 26, 2015, 12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joanfenn

I have no idea of what you are talking about......really.....oh hell :)rotflmao

Rickf1985

You are the same age as me and I KNOW you are not naive. I have followed your conversations on the gear box long enough to know. ;) W% W% I am just waiting for the youngster that started the thread to chime in if we haven't scared him off.

Exodus, I think it was Xcreek that posted a reply but I saw it on a different thread (he posted it on the wrong thread) but he mentioned looking at older Wanderlodges. They would be a good fit for what you are doing since they are bus based and are heavy duty. Problem is they tend to be pricey unless you get a fixer upper.

joanfenn

I like the last one.  The southwind. :)clap

M & J

The Southwind does look  nice.
M & J

eXodus

thanks a lot !
the Southwind does indeed look nices. It has twin beds, and I don't know if we would like that. Also I'm a little afraid of 33 feet, since it seems like they got a lot of rear overhang.

I like the Mallard more, but don't know how it look likes inside.

Very interesting that short Class A are in such short supply :P

eXodus

Okey I have to get used to the idea that I a short RV is going to be a long shot and that longer RVs are more readily available.

I'm also now sure that I'm mostly concerned about rear overhang, frame extension, and weight then the actual total length.
Just did read about that the P30 chassis with 16500 has a much longer wheelbase (up to 228 inch ) then my 14800 Chassis (178 inch) and so there could be Motorhomes with less frame extension as even my 29ft. (2ft extension)

Rickf1985

The trailer hitches and consequently the extension strength was mainly designed for towing a toad. Very little to no tongue weight and not a whole lot of towed weight. They were never designed to tow large trailers. Especially trailers with living things in them. Being a former horse owner and the fact I still love horses I treat them the same as humans, just like my dogs. I would want to be damn sure without a doubt that there was no chance that trailer was ever coming loose. The left side of the frame on mine could be reinforced with no real problem if the gas tank was out but the right side has a compartment intersecting the frame rail so they cut the rail and put in a engineered section of top and bottom sections with 90 degree angles and piss poor welds. That whole section would have to come out and a real section of frame inserted and reinforced put in. This would pretty much eliminate that 3/4 width compartment.

eXodus

When I was in the Market for my last MH the first things I did when I visited a for sell RV:

Going to the back, crawled under the thing and checked the frame and the hitch. Before I took the first look inside.
At some I didn't even go inside after seeing the underside :P

Inside you can fix everything, but you can not fix stupid design underneath. Maybe you can do it Rick, but I would never trust it :P with my Family on board.

I'm not that heavy, 5500lbs trailer with 400lbs on the hitch. Some people carry heavier stuff in their rear compartments, which I did leave mostly empty.
I don't see an issue when the overhang from the rear axle is not long.  It's all about angle and weight distribution.

The Newer MH have the frame about 6-10 inches higher from the ground, so the hitch has come way down. This would give an angle when the trailer is pushing, which has do cause trouble.
At the 94 P30 the hitch is pretty much level with the frame.  only 2 inches down or so. So every movement back or for is not bending the frame.

I'm thinking that the weight on the hitch is not causing any problems as long the frame is not overloaded. The trailer is fixed connected, there is no bouncing or anything.
Braking and bad roads are the frame killers, Here bounces everything, but it wouldn't matter if you got a 400lbs motorcycle at your hitch or a trailer.

Rickf1985

Here is another option that I have looked at for both my RV and my slide in since both have long overhangs. Pricey but good idea. This gives you NO weight on the hitch and it has it's own brakes plus the trailer brakes.

http://www.trailertoad.com/