New old RV idea wanted

Started by eXodus, June 26, 2015, 12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eXodus

Hello,

I may need a new old MH, after my roof blow of in storm:  http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,11271.0.html

I'm searching for ideas what next, if the insurance pays and totals it.
My wife and I developed a wish list during our 6 weeks trip through the country. (http://www.horseback-america.com/)

Must:
- Class A with big Windshields, love the view
- shorter then the 29 feet we had
- powerful engine
- towing capacity 6000lbs (Horsetrailer)

Nice to have:
- solid bed
- Diesel
- better fuel mileage then 7mpg

Budget will be hopefully the $5000 I got in the old one.
We are no full-timers and don't carry a lot of stuff. But we are heavy since we carry feed and water for the horses.

Here is what I found:
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/rvs/5091850402.html
23 feet Brave, with 6.2 Diesel, but this engine seems kinda powerless.

Rickf1985

You do NOT want anything with the 6.2/6.5 in it. Those engines are powerless. Unless you get a really good deal on a really great body with a blown engine and want to put in a Cummins diesel. My Ford pick-up is literally falling apart but the Powerstroke 7.3 still runs like a bear. I have thought about a transplant, A lot of work though since all the electronics have to go with the engine. Plus the rear would need to be changed to a higher ratio. It all depends on the amount of work you want to do but finding a turn key diesel at that price is going to be real hard.

I looked at the picture of that one and it looks nice. I should not totally condemn the 6.2 because they can be made to run good but it takes money. You would have to turbocharge it.

legomybago

I agree on the 6.2 with rick. There are some "good" ones, and a lot of "bad" ones...None of which have a lot of HP's. 5k is not going to buy you a diesel. Unless you find something with 200k plus miles, and in need of bunch a work.

Im glad you got the insurance co to pay for the damages!!!! ;)
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

eXodus

I did like my TBI 454, plenty of power, only in the mountains I had my problems.

I would go for a TBI again. So the layout of the 23ft seems very neat, but I couldn't find any towing specs...

Not 100% sure that the insurance really pays yet. Two days ago I did talk with a manager and it seemed like he did understand and valued my concerns he just wanted to check with another person before he processes further.

Today another guy from the insurance called me and tells me the same nonsense which the first adjuster told me, because of which I escalated the claim to the manager.

This would be a dream:
25ft Blue Bird, Diesel:
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1999-Blue-Bird-Baby-Bird-114969363

way to expensive but exactly what I'm looking for.

Rickf1985

Well, you don't have to fret over it, it is already sold! I went to the website to see what engine it had and it is stamped SOLD. As soon as I saw "Bluebird" I knew you would be in heaven. :D I want a Bluebird pusher.

eXodus

I'm a diesel fan, but have no concerns where the engine is. 

Just had been toying with the idea of getting a Schoolbus and doing a conversion, but seems like much more pricey project then getting an old RV.

LJ-TJ

WELL! I've always wanted to do over a Highway Coach. There are may things to take into consideration though. Size is one. Where are you going to put it/store it. When your out on the road where are you going to park it? Driving it in the city it will be a hand full. There are some nice used city buses out there that would be fantastic for a conversion. It wouldn't happen over night and I expect it would be a long project. However you can do a little at a time. While your converting it you could still take it out on trips while you were fixing it up. Now not to rain on your parade but, if you figure in the cost of buying the coach plus all the things you'll need to do the conversion, maybe you should consider something along this lines.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Foretravel-40-Unihome-350-Turbo-Diesel-Pusher-w-air-ride-suspension-/161744988234?forcerrptr=true&hash=item25a8c0a84a&item=161744988234

Rickf1985

I have seen that one before and drooled over it but think about it, 40 feet long and all the luxuries and only a single axle! That has got to be maxed out on weight. Then again, I think the Foretravel was built on a cement mixer chassis so the axle would be a heavy truck axle.

eXodus

yeah don't want something that huge. I've got a couple acres farm land down here so no storage issue. and hate citys so always drive arround.

I really want something short, the places we go with the horses are usually in the woods with narrow dirt roads.

we had been on the road for 6 weeks, and didn't use half of the stuff we packed in our 29ft. But had a couple of situations where it had been pretty close to stuck.
we are towing a 18ft horse trailer.

is there no ford or cummins diesel Mh from the 80s or 90 s?

kattkisson

We have a 1993 22 ft Winn. Warrior. with 454 TBI.   Pulling a 2000lb car with supplies we get in the 9.5-10.5 mpg range. This unit was light enough that they installed the 4:10 rear and it has the overdrive transmission.

Something like this may fill you bill except for a few things.  No large common bed.  Also this was their Price model so they cut a lot of corners such as the floors have nothing but OSB and covering. Really look for water damage.  They made a bed in the rear variant that engineer bill of this site has which makes a little more sense but they are really rare.

Another thing about this unit that I like is that with this short unit the hitch can actually bolt to the vehicle frame instead of any extensions.

eXodus

kattkisson:

sounds like a great idea ! Thank you, googled around and found one:
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1991-Winnebago-Warrior-23-115055858

P30 chassis,  can anybody tell me the wheel size on this thing ?
I had to reeinforce the frame extension at 29ft P30. So a shorty would make absolutely sens.
As long I can clean the floor I don't care what it is :P

We've got a farm, everything is dirty/dusty all the time. That's just how it is.

Edit:
also the Chieftain had a short model:
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1985-Winnebago-CHIEFTAIN-22RC-114706044
beautiful staged like on HGTV :P

but I'm not sure if a Carburated 454 had the power to tow my Trailer.  I'm only 30 everything what had been built in my lifetime has some kind of injection :P

kattkisson

just to restate my floor concerns.  OSB board stands for oriented strand board .  It cannot stand water/  It swells up and then rots--- quickly,  Winnebago got in trouble about this and went  to a different floor in a short time.  Point --look for signs of leaks and firmness of floor, I had to end up fiberglassing mine .

Rickf1985

Do not worry about the power issue of a carbureted engine as opposed to a TBI engine, the power difference is negligible. Gas mileage will be a bit better on the injected engine since they do tend to be more efficient. I would wonder about the load with an overdrive tranny and 4:11 gears. You would probably be running in third a lot in the hills. The nice part of that transmission is that it is a lock-up convertor. That will lower the trans temps substantially and give better mileage also. You want the engine in the 2500 to 2800 rpm range in the hills which would not be a problem with that combo. The GM 4 speed auto has a low fist gear which is nice for getting going and is a good match for the 4:11 gears. You can always upgrade to injection on a carbureted engine with stock parts from a junk yard or you can go one better and got with port injection from aftermarket. That is a bit pricey though. The port injection will give you some serious power increase.

Rickf1985

Careful with one with 90,000 on it. Make sure you go over the engine very well since these engines have to work extra hard. I can bet it at the least needs a timing chain but the way they describe it would worry me. "in great shape, sold as is, cash only" . That to me is a red flag.

eXodus

I wouldn't even have to go to a junk yard i still own a fully functional Mh with 454 tbi. which waits for taking apart or repair.

thanks katt I will watch out for soft floors. My 94 winnebago had metal/insulation/luan sandwich floors.

eXodus

Rickf1985

I am NOT going to comment on the pole! I'm not, I'm not, I am biting my tongue! W% :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

M & J

On the serious side it could be there to support the roof.
M & J

eXodus

lol guys, I don't know these old thing and had been thinking this is is supposed to look like.

there had been a lot of weird design made in the 70s.

Rickf1985

You know I was just kidding, I am sure it is there to delineate the edge of the counter. Plus there is not much room for "maneuvering" on that counter. ;) W% :D

joanfenn

Rick.  I have to ask.  How do you know that there isn't enough room for "maneuvering"? Hm?

Rickf1985

And I will ask back, are you that flexible? Touche'. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

Rickf1985

Quote from: oldrockandroller on July 07, 2015, 12:54 PM
On the serious side it could be there to support the roof.
You, serious? ??? W%

joanfenn

Rickf1985

Oh no, You are not getting me to answer that one young lady.  :D