How do you set the parking brake?

Started by MSN Member, November 28, 2008, 09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 8/14/2002 12:32 PM

Can someone tell me about the parking brake on a 1975 dodge m300 chassis , which way is the brake off? Is the up all the way foward or down all the way back? Thanks. Charly,

Sent: 8/14/2002 4:11 PM

Charly, I have a '78 M300 and the parking brake is engaged by pulling back and tightening the knob on top.  To release, lossen the knob and push forward (it should return by spring tension). 

Sent: 8/15/2002 5:31 AM

Charly,

I have a '73 RM300 and the brake is on when it is up and back which appears to contradict the options you gave.  I don't know what is common in the US but I think it is worth adding that the parking brake is an over-centre device.  In the UK it is common for a parking brake to have a rachet released by a button on the end of the lever.  For this reason I believe the previous owner of my Brave never used the parking brake but relied onthe P position on the Transmission.   Cheers Ian...

Sent: 8/22/2002 8:56 AM

I have a '75 Dodge M300 chassis Minnie Winnie.  When the lever is down and out of the way, the brake is off.  To engage the brake, pull the level up to make it horizontal.  It wouldn't make sense to have it up in the driving position or you'd hit it with your leg getting in and out of the door when the brake is not being used.  Hope this helps ya!