Replace the original front brake hoses!

Started by Schwarzkopf9, May 27, 2015, 08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schwarzkopf9

I know its probably been covered before but, I just wanted to post my results.

I had a problem with my '83 P30 Winnebago pulling to one side under heavy braking, which poses a huge safety risk. After replacing the calipers - pads - master(which leaked anyway) the next logical thing was the brake hoses. I had also ran across that they are likely culprits to many brake issues in a thread somewhere but cant think of where it was. Anyway, after replacing the hoses - problem vanished! Stops straight and quick! I also learned that if you have GMs lovely HydroBoost - you'll want to make sure to bleed the brakes with the engine running - it will save you some frustration.

Hope this helps someone down the road!

circleD

With the engine running? I've always used a vacuum pump. Or just pump the pedal.

TerryH

Never heard of bleeding with the engine running. Wouldn't  that tend to bleed the reservoir dry far faster than you could respond to? Even with assistance?
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Schwarzkopf9

I hadn't heard of it either until I did it. After bleeding the brakes with my wife, went for a test drive. The pedal seemed spongy so I bled them again when we got home. After about a dozen cycles with her pushing the pedal it didnt seem to get any better - being that its the front brakes I figured that should be plenty for the air to come out but nothing seemed to get better. So I thought, since the hydroboost uses the power steering pump, maybe if I started the engine WHILE bleeding that the air would come out. To my surprise, several nice sized air bubles came out after I did this and the brake pedal became nice and solid. Not sure what physics are involved here, perhaps she was weak and couldnt get the proper pressure on the pedal and the boost helped her push further i?? . Either way, it worked and I dare not question the Winnebago gods in their divine wisdom lest they smite me on the trip with it this weekend...

Froggy1936

I just replaced both of my frt hoses on my 77 P20 (Though the parts were listed for a P30 non R/V ) There seems to be a lot of confusion with NAPA listing for Rotors and lines ?  Removeing the lines is a real pain esp the R/S  The lines are anchored to the frame with a 15/16 th,s sheet metal nut . On bleeding (any veh with the master cly mounted up high on the firewall) The easiest way to bleed is gravity (no pumping needed) Just keep MC filled Open bleeder let fluid run out till clear  Close and go to next one  1 person no vacuume  pump or pedal pumping  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.