Front Wheel Bearing Grease 1983 Chev P30

Started by Schwarzkopf9, May 20, 2015, 04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schwarzkopf9

Has anyone had the pleasure of greasing the front wheel bearings on an '83 P30? I need to do mine this coming week and just want to get some insight on the job. I have disc brakes up front, dums in the rear. Thinking of replacing the front brake hoses at the same time since ill be in there. The local shop in town wants 250$ for the bearing lube - a little steep considering I could probably buy new hubs for this price...

Froggy1936

Hmm, Funny you should ask as I am right now in the process on my 77 P20 That turned out to have non R/V P30 frt brake rotor and hubs (all 1 piece) Listing @ NAPA seems there is a lot of confusion in there computer listings . I highly recommend replaceing the frt brake hoses as my left frt went bad on the 2015 road test after sitting all winter and held the frt caliper applied till overheat got so high it melted the wheel brg grease that was squirting out of dustcap and seal . Other than the hubs are very heavy its just about the same as a car . The hoses are very special make shure they give you the correct ones . I am also replaceing the calipers and linings As i could not rebuild the old ones without the special tool for reinstalling the dust seal And it was no longer available thru NAPA for the 3 3/8 dia piston  When I disconnected that hose no fluid would run out till i disconnected the line into the hose So doing both sides w calipers and lining  Frank   
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Froggy1936

On replaceing the hub This one L/F was $135.00 @ NAPA  I had to make the trip to Trap pond so I cut the outer lip off the new dust seal(no tool to install correctly) Put the new piston seal on and and used it that way for the trip with a new hose Now I have to install the new rebuilt on the L/F also So ill endup with all new frt brakes calipers l/f rotor (I had replaced both of them when I bought it) and frt hoses with new bonded pads Wich I had to grind 40 Thousands off the inner pad due to them having shims bonded onto the backs to eliminate squeal The orig pads had no shims But all is well that turns out well  Frank :angel:
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

cncsparky

-Tom

Rickf1985

Frank, can you still buy loaded calipers? Saves from buying separate parts. I put so wood blocking under mine since my back is so bad, that way I do not have to catch it when it comes off, just slide it off onto the wood. Getting it on is a bit trickier.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Schwarzkopf9

Started in on the left side today...Does anyone have return springs on the front brake pads? I had one on the bottom. Looks like the top one fell out or something i?? . are these really neccessary? Got it all back together anyway - thinking of getting a hardware kit for the front and taking it apart again... Got the bearings on the left cleaned and greased - all looks good. Also replaced the brake hose, heard people had problems with them.

Oz

Are you covering the entire brake rebuild? 
If so, please start a new topic.  This one was just about wheel bearing grease.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Schwarzkopf9

Okay, job done! Hardest part was getting the calipers off to remove the hub. Bearings were perfect after I cleaned them up so, just repacked with synthetic grease and installed new seals. should be good for the 12,000 mile interval. The manual calls out for 12lb-ft for the initial tourqe and finger tight for the final which just seems wrong but, its what the manual says. Finished just in time for our trip this weekend so, hopefully no surprises!