Chevy P30 454 (7.4L) Fan Belts And Hoses

Started by DaveVA78Chieftain, May 17, 2015, 12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

Take the old hose with you and match it up to the options for the ones in the motorhome list. And once you find one make a note of it in your records. All hoses, belts, filters should be noted as to what they are when you get the right one so you do not have another issue in the future. Where does your top hose go into the radiator? I have never seen one snake all over, most go in on the top right side looking from the rear. Then some radiators have another short hose out the front for the fill and cap. The lower hose should have a wire in it to keep it from collapsing under high RPM.

78BraveGuy

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 03, 2020, 02:51 PM
Take the old hose with you and match it up to the options for the ones in the motorhome list. And once you find one make a note of it in your records. All hoses, belts, filters should be noted as to what they are when you get the right one so you do not have another issue in the future. Where does your top hose go into the radiator? I have never seen one snake all over, most go in on the top right side looking from the rear. Then some radiators have another short hose out the front for the fill and cap. The lower hose should have a wire in it to keep it from collapsing under high RPM.

I took the old hoses in with me for comparison yesterday.  When we tried to look up 1978 P30 motorhome, their computer system said there are no hoses available.  When we tried 1978 P30 non-motorhome, the hoses were very different (bends going the opposite direction, etc.). Like I stated earlier, we also tried cross-referencing the original GM part numbers and the hoses that they cross reference to are short (like 11" long) "by-pass" hoses.  I tried both Autozone and Napa and got the same results.  The upper hose has a 90 degree bend in it to go around the A/C compressor.  I have been trying to attach pictures, but the site keeps crashing.

Elandan2

We had the lower hose split on a trip a few years ago. Since no one had a hose for a 440 available, we looked through the stock of hoses at the local Canadian Tire and found one that had a section that matched. Cut the new hose so it was the same as the old one, put the spring inside and then installed it. Still on and hasn't leaked (touch wood!!).
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

78BraveGuy

I have been doing some more internet research and I stumbled across a thread on the airforums.com site from back in 2013-2014.  Apparently the correct hoses for P30 motorhomes with the vertical radiator are discontinued.  GM in their infinite wisdom re-used the part numbers for hoses on a 99-03 Tracker, which is why those numbers cross reference to the wrong hose now. There was a couple of guys that spent a bunch of time in a parts store looking through all the radiator hoses available and figured out that a Gates 22086 (lower hose for a mid 90's chevy pickup) will work for an upper hose after trimming a little and a Dayco 71710 (lower hose for a mid 90's F150) will work for the Lower hose.  I'm going to check this out tomorrow and see if they will work on mine.

tmsnyder

Wow that's good info to have on hand!  Hopefully it works out for you.

78BraveGuy

Quote from: 78BraveGuy on May 03, 2020, 04:15 PM
I have been doing some more internet research and I stumbled across a thread on the airforums.com site from back in 2013-2014.  Apparently the correct hoses for P30 motorhomes with the vertical radiator are discontinued.  GM in their infinite wisdom re-used the part numbers for hoses on a 99-03 Tracker, which is why those numbers cross reference to the wrong hose now. There was a couple of guys that spent a bunch of time in a parts store looking through all the radiator hoses available and figured out that a Gates 22086 (lower hose for a mid 90's chevy pickup) will work for an upper hose after trimming a little and a Dayco 71710 (lower hose for a mid 90's F150) will work for the Lower hose.  I'm going to check this out tomorrow and see if they will work on mine.

I can confirm that these hoses worked.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ordchief

Thanks for the post on Fan Belts and Hoses.  It saved loads of skinned knuckles, choice words, skinned knees, shined arms and legs reinstalling the belts on the Bounder. 

MrBrukh

I just bought a 1994 Winnebago/Itasca Sunrise with 454. Are these numbers applicable? Thanks

78 tripple e

What size is the two v belts on hydro boost one small on power steering to cranf and one big from power steering to fan to crank  !? No ac or smog

Holliebaby24

Helloooo 👋! Can we have that discussion about the air systems removal... please 😁🙏
I'm currently upside down in my dog house removing the water pump, OMG I need some room in here help please 🙏 thanks in advance!!
Hollie

Oz

That discussion has already been had in depth.  Use the search or just look at the topic titles on this message board.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca