installing rear view camera on side mirrors

Started by JerryP, April 10, 2015, 11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryP

Got the stuff I needed to add rearview cameras on the left, and right side.
Could not figure where to put them, and then I had an idea to put them in the mirror arm,
A little investigating show it would be an easy job.
I thought i might be able to take the base off, drill a hole through the side, but it already had a hole there for mirror heat, or something. I had to drill out a hole in the bases of the mirror arm to get the camera plugs through.
Other than that, it was quick, and easy

[size=78%]

[/size]
Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

eXodus

Great idea ! looks like factory.

The only thing I'm wondering, what can you see in the cameras which you can not see in the mirrors ?

I've got a tripple mirror assembly and I didn't have the feeling that I miss something at the sides, yet  :P 

Could you please take a picture of the monitor view ?

Rickf1985

I simply cannot get used to looking at a TV screen to see what is behind me. My brain refuses to believe it. Too many years driving a truck I guess. They are great for backing up but not driving.

JerryP

Quote from: eXodus on April 11, 2015, 07:22 AM
Great idea ! looks like factory.

The only thing I'm wondering, what can you see in the cameras which you can not see in the mirrors ?

I've got a tripple mirror assembly and I didn't have the feeling that I miss something at the sides, yet  :P 

Could you please take a picture of the monitor view ?

I will take a video tomorrow
No blind spots
I forgot my phone when i test drove them today.
They are wide angle, if i see a stop sign beside me, it is also on the monitor
I like it!!!!!
Jerry P
A work in progress

Rickf1985

Sometimes you can have too much info. It gets distracting.

JerryP

Don't disagree there, but that is a human behavior, and self discipline issue,
I want to be able to be confident with my lane changes, and have an easier time backing up.
I do not like blind spots on something so large.

Jerry P
A work in progress

JerryP

Here are some pictures of the rear, and side view cameras.
The 3 picture is a picture directly out the right window, from the drivers seat, to compare to the view in the right side view camera.
notice you can see the garage door, and gutter down spout

Jerry P
A work in progress

eXodus

this is a pretty wide angle ! Now I see what you are talking about.

Now the camera position makes absolutely sense. Good project !  :)clap

Old Man Powell

That is an awesome idea! Way to go. Might have to do that myself.

Rickf1985

I see your point but if that is the view you have of your right side mirror then it needs drastic adjustment! You should not be seeing the side of the mirror, only the glass. To someone who is not used to driving something that long or large I can see it working. To an old time trucker I doubt you would be able to sell the idea to them. When I look in my mirrors all I need to do to change the view is move my head a fraction of an inch. I have a much better perspective that way. With a wide angle lens it is possible to miss something small that would be much bigger in a mirror. I just have a fisheye mirror on the bottom of my regular mirrors for anything up too close to see in the regular mirror.

TerryH

Agree with this and also based on your photos is it possible you may have too much info on your dash monitors that could detract you from what is directly ahead?
Curious because while driving, what is ahead should be paramount.
Interested to hear how you find it "on the road".
Thanks
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

JerryP

Well, I like the cameras very much.
They are helpful making lane changes, and backing up, which is why I installed them.
I have never had trouble with reverse images, and such, so that may make a difference in my satisfaction.
Having ridden motorcycles for 40+ years, and never having an accident, I think it is extremely important to know everything that is going on around you. What is beside you, or behindyou can suddenly be very important

Jerry P
A work in progress

Rickf1985

Believe me, driving a rig with a 280 inch wheelbase and a 53 footer means close to 70 feet between the mirrors and the back of the trailer. The same principals apply there except instead of you getting squashed it will be you doing the squashing. D:oH! We had a motorhome that was converted for a mobile lab at the college here and it had built in sideview cameras. They were set up to give a view that was identical to a mirror and looked just like the right view but I still was not comfortable looking inside at a monitor.