New to this site and new to rv'ing!

Started by Bridlecreekboy, April 09, 2015, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bridlecreekboy

Just wanted to say hello to my fellow Classic RV owners.  My wife and I just bought our first RV, a 1989 Winnebago Warrior 22CE.  It has a 454 on a Chevy chassis.  We picked this baby up 3 weeks ago for 3800.  It appeared well cared for inside and out for its age. Everything was working.  So far a cracked windshield has revealed corrosion under the passenger side molding which is requiring a new window frame. 

We have noticed a small oil leak that I'll have to investigate this week but hopefully just minor for a RV this age. Motor has 100,000 miles. Pass smog and runs well complete with flow masters. I get lots of complements to my suprise, didn't think there were so many RV enthusiasts who would appreciate this machine.  I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as my family starts to explore life through an RV window!

M & J

M & J

Oz

Welcome to the community.  Being new to RVing has its challenges but the enjoyment is something you'll always have.

Since you're new to the site, please take a moment to read the forum rules.  They're brief but very important in helping you get more answers to your questions, faster and to get the most benefit from all we have to share!

:)   :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

circleD

Welcome to the site. Just some things I've learned about your motor and chassis to help you diagnos minor issues.
The 454 is a beast and will leak. If the right person rebuilds one with newer parts and knows what they're doing maybe no leaks but high miles and age you'll have that. If you have the P30 chassis find a reliable Chevy parts place because it is a 1 ton Chevy. I use Advance Auto. Take your time and read through the site  plus the SEARCH BOX will help narrow things down. Or start a post and some of our gurus will help out.  :)ThmbUp

TerryH

Welcome, and please keep us informed re your windshield frame replacement. Given that you have a 1989 unit, you likely do not have a frame - rather a pinch weld with a Urethaned windshield. Pinch weld, urethane and actual windshield are structural. Dependant on degree of pinch weld corrosion reputable glass shops will not replace your windshield until acceptable repair is done to the pinch weld. This is as per Federal, State and/or Provincial Regulations. Ties into their insurance coverage. This can be very costly. As you are in Cal. could be a very large headache.
Also, a common  leak or rust source is actually the clearance lights above the windshield. May be the source of "apparent"  corrosion.
Not trying to scare you, but maybe google search particularly "windshield pinch weld repair" before you go ahead. 
Again, welcome, and above is offered as suggestion only.
Terry
ps  quite often pinch weld rust can be dealt with without windshield removal. Depends on degree of deterioration.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Old Man Powell

Welcome to the club! I'm on my second "vintage/classic" RV and let me just say this forum is a huge help. Very knowledegable and nice people. Wish I had known about this site when I had my first RV. Definitely look through all the manuals that are available or use the search function to look for previous discussions that may help you... I use this a lot.

Whatever you do, if something goes wrong, don't panic! RV's this old are tricky but also a fun challenge. Each time I tackle a new repair it's an adventure but thus far it has always turned out OK.

Again, study this forum and don't be afraid to ask questions. It's been a life saver for me! 

xerofall

Truth ^^^^

I went to another forum when I was looking to get into an RV... they were the rudest bunch of a-holes imaginable. I was asking newbie questions and all I got was "RV-ing isn't for you if you don't know." Like somehow those guys were born with RV knowledge?

Then I'd get the guys saying "If you want to die and kill everyone on the freeway next to you, then go ahead."  Nice, helpful info... not.

Then I came here... night and day. You guys and gals are so pleasant, friendly and willing to help.

Bridlecreekboy

Bridlecreekboy

I'd like to thank everyone for the warm welcome and advise.  Just to give you an update on the windshield. I ended up buying the windshield online for 610.00. I then found a local RV service/body shop for the installation. They advised they would need to do some welding and fiberglass work to install the window to the tune of 1200.00. Ouch, but we love our Rv and we are hoping for no more suprises....lol

TerryH

That's pretty much what I was trying to warn/advise you about. Hope it all works out happily for you.
Especially glad to hear you both love your RV and that you found this site.
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore