Replacing front Disc Caliper brakes

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 27, 2008, 08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 3/29/2004 1:29 AM

I got a look at the front brakes, and they're calipers.  The pads are down and need replacing.  My brakes work great but the pedal goes way down to the floor.  As far as brakes go, are they easy to work on?  Can I run down to napa and expect to get what I need?  I would like this to go as smooth as possible.

Sent: 3/29/2004 3:38 AM

Hi There 'Bagorider,

If you look at my post of "dodgy booster or what" you will see some of the issues around the brakes.  I haven't had too much of a problem getting disc pads and I live in the UK!.  As for your problem, If you pull up the Emergency Brake a little does that improve the pedal travel? If so you may find that the self adjusters have seized.

If your system is the same as mine (single booster attached to the master cylinder) you will be able to look at the pictures I posted yesterday to see what to expect when you remove the brake drums.  If the self adjusters are seized it is quite a simple matter to get them working again. Please let us know what you find.

Cheers Ian...

Sent: 3/30/2004 8:41 AM

You should't have alot of problem changing the pads - the are like a car only bigger , take a set with you when you purchase the new and give them your Dodge chassis model number . I would suggest opening the bleeder to compress the calipers then re tighten - this will allow you to compress it much eaiser and it will eject any moisture built up in there - you can also pinch the rubber line off a little if not to fragil  t keep it from going into the system - just make sure to check and refill the resivior often . I would then suggest purging some fluid by bleeding all the brakes . -- Sea Hag 

Sent: 3/31/2004 7:14 AM

I agree with Ian. Its likely your self adjusters are stuck. I like to clean all the self adjuster surfaces with an abrasive cleaner, like Comet, then lubricate them with graphite - not a dust collecting greasy lube. As to whether you will find the parts at your NAPA dealer - probably depends on the individual outlet. If they dont have the listings, look for a business that supplies parts to commercial vehicles. truck parts, truck supply, heavy fleet etc., things like that.
I recommend you dismantle and rebuild the calipers, along with the wheel cylinders. It can be scary what you find in there! Maybe replace all of the brake hoses too while you have the brakes apart already. They are probably originals.
Rather than pinching the brake hose, if you push the pedal down a little bit and prop it there with a stick between the pedal and the seat or dashboard, that will prevent back flow from the master cylinder into the reservoirs.
Its probably harder to get the wheels off than it is to work on the brakes themselves. On mine I have to jack up the frame, not the axle, in order to have the clearance for the wheels to come off - this is on both front and rear axles.

Sent: 3/31/2004 8:48 AM

Dave - Exelent Idea on pushing the pedal down a little instead of pinching the line - I'll have to try that - Probably much eaiser on the rubber lines - Thanks - Sea Hag