Is it safe to use onan generator while sleeping?

Started by lost00, March 26, 2015, 09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lost00

I have 76 Winnebago Custom only 267 hour on 5,000 watts Onan not start for very long time..  no idea if it work or not? 
and i am not sure if it safe to use old Onan under Winnebago during sleep because i am totally deafness i cant hear
anything noise or  carbon monoxide detector Alarm so should i buy  RV Ready Outlet plug Portable Champion Generator with 68DB noise put few feet away from Winnebago during sleep over night for A/C so i dont have worry about carbon monoxide?

I use Generator only run on A/C or Battery Charger  but furnace and light will run on battery only and refridge run on LP gas .

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-OUTFITTER-GENERATOR/1837234.uts?productVariantId=3873328&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=37-34200338-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03899028&rid=20

Rickf1985

That is a tough call, They were made to be run at night but these are old units. I would not recommend it and if you have to be sure to get a Genturi exhaust kit. Since you are unable to hear alarms I would recommend the separate unit.

eXodus

where are you living/camping so that you need the A/C at night ? I had the experience that most parks doesn't allow Generator use after 10 PM.
Sure people do it all the time but it's often illegal.

maybe a good roof vent would help more then the A/C.

davecaprita

Running a generator at night while everyone is sleeping is a decision that you should make only after considering all the issues.  Based on your post your unit is 38 years old, so consider its maintenance over the years, ask if it's really necessary to run it while you sleep, is there another option available, and finally you can't anticipate everything that could happen.  Case in point, many years ago two good friends took a small RV to the big game here in town.  Fired up the generator, its cold here in November, and went to sleep.  During the night the new exhaust/muffler vibrated around until it was aiming up... directly into the sleeping area.  Sadly they did not survive.  You just can't anticipate every situation and it only takes one event to create a tragedy.  Consider everything you can think of and then consider, "is it worth it?"             

lost00

Quote from: eXodus on March 28, 2015, 08:03 PM
where are you living/camping so that you need the A/C at night ? I had the experience that most parks doesn't allow Generator use after 10 PM.
Sure people do it all the time but it's often illegal.

Really i didn't know that.. thank for info but in Northern Minnesota area i use generator with 65 DB sound with 10 foot away from RV and people say it quiet not very noise  but in Government Camping ground i use electric plug ready.. but not other non-goverment camping..  i use A/c only during humidy and hot only.

maybe a good roof vent would help more then the A/C.

lost00

Quote from: davecaprita on March 29, 2015, 10:56 AM
...many years ago two good friends took a small RV to the big game here in town.  Fired up the generator, its cold here in November, and went to sleep.  During the night the new exhaust/muffler vibrated around until it was aiming up... directly into the sleeping area.  Sadly they did not survive.  You just can't anticipate every situation and it only takes one event to create a tragedy.  Consider everything you can think of and then consider, "is it worth it?"             

i am so sorry about your friend  :(  but during november in cold outside i never use Generator but use electric only Furnace with 12 volt blower.  like ice fishing house on lake. and thank for explain me with your experience..