Kayak rack

Started by gadgetman, March 23, 2015, 06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gadgetman

Add this to bold the yak. It hangs the nose in a seatbelt sling and the top is held by the frame/pole I added. The outter arm will lift up and swing out of the way. Now you just lay the yak on the bike rack ramp and hook the nose strap on, then just swing it up and flip the arm back and it locks in place. Add straps and its ready.

[smg id=6964]

[smg id=6966]

[smg id=6965]
I turned the yak nose up and its now the same level as the rev lights
[smg id=6968]
[smg id=6967]

72-d24

:)ThmbUp
I love the idea of finding ways to easily strap a kayak to the rig. Lugging it to the roof seems highly difficult, although, doable. We were given an inflatable kayak, which rides very nicely on the back bumper, between the coach and the spare tire.

For a solid kayak (or whatever you want to call a non-inflatable one), this setup appears to make it easy to load and unload it.

I just have one critique: Won't this set up create substantial drag? Perhaps even putting the kayak at risk of ripping right off the rig? Won't such drag dramatically affect gas mileage.

Oz

The kayak is mostly blocked from direct airflow and it's actually in the vortex area so no fear for it being ripped off.

As for drag affect on the rig and affecting gas mileage... Ever notice how the big, new RVs are completely flat in front?  Someone realized that motorhomes are anti-aerodynamic to begin with, so why waste space trying to reduce the drag coefficient by angling the nose?  A kayak or any other object protruding from the back, front, or roof won't make a bit of difference either.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

gadgetman

Its steady enough for me to rock the rv with the kayak. Not concerned with it coming loose