Warm up question

Started by Weblamer, February 24, 2015, 05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weblamer

I have a question about the warm-up in my 350 5.7L.

When i first start the engine it usually starts up ok, thought the idle seems to be a big high. I then have to sit there for around 5 minutes before 'something' happens that causes the idle to go down and then the engine just purrs.

if I try to drive before this happens, it will stall. if I drive after it happens, I dont seem to have any problem.

What exactly is going on here, and is that a normal warmup period?

Thanks.

Bnova

Mine had a really high fast idle, with no tach to know exactly, I'd guess it was around 2000 rpm.  I had to buy a flexible screwdriver to reach the adjustment screw.  I would think yours is probably the same as mine, with the electric choke.  This unit will take a few minutes to warm itself up, that's normal.

As far as the stumbling goes, I wonder if your choke plate is hanging up, not coming on.  The choke and fast idle are both actuated by the choke spring when you step the gas pedal to the floor and release.  I'd have to look to see if it's possible for the fast idle to come on if the choke plate hangs up.  But that's what it sounds like to me if after it warms up it will drive away normally without stumbling.

Rickf1985

You do have to tap the gas pedal once in a while during warm up so that the idle speed resets to the needed level. As long as the choke is set right it will drop down to idle in about four or five minutes. This is not an automatic thing like fuel injected computerized cars. You do have to hit the gas once in a while to reset the mechanical linkages. Even after the idle drops down to normal it will take a while to fully warm up, how long depends on outside temps and if your thermostat is working correctly. Ten to fifteen minutes is a good average.

circleD

I've learned that the older motors need more time to warm up or just idle before heading out. I check the fluids then crank it. While its warming up I do a walk around to check things on the outside such as tires, fresh leaks, lights, and latches. Then I make sure all interior doors are secured and any loose items put away. Then its usually ready to go. There's a check off sheet on here somewhere to follow. But it takes 5-10 minutes with my '84 454 BB to idle down.

Weblamer

OK, great, sounds like this is doing what it is supposed to be doing then. Frankly I have never owned such a big beast of a vehicle before, so I am not sure what is 'normal'.

I bought a little cheapish tach off of ebay that I am going to wire up so I get a better idea as to what is going on. I am hard of hearing, so judging the idle speed is a bit harder for me.

Rickf1985

Welcome to the hard of hearing club, Let me know when you find those golden years, mine all rusted! :D

bluebird

I finally got a pair of hearing aids a little over a year ago, oh what a difference it has made. I don't know why I waited so long. I bought the Phonak that goes behind the ear after I had the in the ear ones. The in the ear ones were very uncomfortable for me, and left me feeling plugged up. The ones that fit behind the ear are great, can't even tell they are in there now except I can hear now. But they're not cheap, worth every penny though if you want to hear again. I hear noises again that I'd forgot, like a bird chirping.

Rickf1985

That would be great but my health insurance does not cover hearing aids and I do not have the money. I have tinnitus pretty bad.

circleD

STAY ON TOPIC GUYS  D:oH! I wrote that big so you could hear what I'm writing  :laugh:

M & J

M & J

Rickf1985

EH? It is on topic, as we warm up we hear better. W% :)rotflmao

circleD

N:( Oh Rick   D:oH!
Weblamer, the sound and feel of the idle as it warms up really depends on how well its tuned up and a clean tuned up carb. There are multiple post about some people rebuilding or cleaning the carbs. I have trouble trying to figure it out myself and everyone's motor runs different due to weather, altitude, and maintance. Just get to know how it feels and remember that its an older motor.
By the way Rick, from what I read on here you never warm up  :)rotflmao  :)ThmbUp