Moving the furnace thermostat

Started by moonlitcoyote, March 10, 2015, 02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

Is it possible to relocate the thermostat for the furnace to a different location? Right now mine is located on the wall right beside the fridge and ideally I would like to move it to the back bedroom of the winnebago. I figure all I have to do is undo the wires and run them to wherever I want but I have been wondering if it is supposed to be located within a certain distance of the furnace to make it work correctly. Any info appreciated. Thank you.

eXodus

yes, they should be in the middle of the room, no outside walls, not in the direct air path of a vent.

You can rewire it, pretty simple only two lines are normally used.
and try to use the same height as it has now.

There is a whole science about placing thermostats in rooms.

Oz

Wouldn't put it near sources of heat or cold, but I don't think you'll really need to take the scientific course on placing it.  The simple guidline eXodus posted will get you where you like it.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

TerryH

MJ
As per Exodus and Oz, yes heat and cold sources have to be considered. Also, the thermostat reads the ambient temp for where it is located. Galley area is usually warmer than a rear bedroom, so 68 in the galley is possibly 64 in the BR.
Moving it would likely require you to change your current temp settings.
Moving it to the BR may make it easier to change them late night/early morning.
Something you may want to consider is a digital thermostat. Not terribly expensive and depending on the one you get you have the option of setting it for numerous temps at different times. Low during the day, up a bit evening, a bit more before bedtime, down while asleep, and up again before getting out of bed. They are also far more effective and efficient than the old style slide thermostats.
Downside to me, but not really, is that they work on batteries. Mine has a low bat indicator that you wouldn't check regularly, but I found that the time function starts to flash when the batteries are low. That I do notice. Regardless, I change the batteries at the same time as I do for smoke/CO etc detectors.
There is info in the Forum on changing over.
May be a far simpler answer to what I assume you wish to achieve.
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

You will find that if it is in the bedroom you will have large swings in temp in the main area since the bedroom probably stays fairly constant. If it is cool outside and you are going in and out a couple times the temp up front will drop a lot from the door being open but the thermostat will not pick that up from the bedroom.

moonlitcoyote

Rick, that is the problem we have. My 4 yr old sleeps in the back bedroom with the door shut and the temps are reaching 85 and higher in his room on colder nights so I really need the thermostat to read the temps in his room to keep him comfortable. I have an electric blanket that I can turn up if need be, he on the other hand cant even figure out how to stay covered up if he gets cold.

Thank you Terry, I will look into what it takes to change over to a digital thermostat.

eXodus

if you go digital you could also look into getting one with an external sensor.
The external sensors are often much better then the readings inside the thermostat housing.

So you could easily let the thermostat where it is and hide the sensor somewhere in the bedroom.

Rickf1985

You could try a test run for a bit, you would just need to run a jumper wire from where the thermostat is now to the new location through an accessible location. Run the wire through closets and the like. That way if you do not like the results you can move it right back.