Rusty Chassis: Best product to restore?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 27, 2008, 08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 6/22/2004 7:41 AM

My recently purchased 72 D20 Brave has a great deal of flaking surface rust on the frame rails around the front spring shackles, core support etc. This is a Maryland rig, so assume it might have been driven in the salt at some point...one of the rubber bumpers on the passengers side that sits on top of the leaf spring pad actually rusted off (I'll need a new trapezoidal shaped bumper also). I've heard POR-15 is good stuff. I have a sandblaster, so may try to blast what I can and POR-15 the rest...any suggestions and should I worry about the extensive rusting/flaking in some areas?

Sent: 6/27/2004 7:24 PM

I'll bet the vast majority of us are running around with heavily rusted, flaking lower chassis', except the areas which have been protected over the years by oil leaks - LOL!  Certainly, suspension mounting areas are a point of concern and, any cleaning and protection you can give them is a plus.  I don't know if you need to go to the expense of using POR-15 with as many choices of treatments you can use.  You may even look into a classic car restoration web-site.  So many of them have done frame-off restores, I'm sure there's a wealth of info on what to use. - Sob

Sent: 6/27/2004 8:46 PM

I have actually run across a product in an aerosol can that was meant for underbody coating.  The nozzle was bigger than that of a paint can, so that the heavier material (rubbery undercoat) could come out of the can.  I can't remember the price, but it can't be too bad.  Should be able to protect the areas that are a little rusty, or the places that you don't want rust.

Sent: 6/27/2004 11:10 PM

Thanks..I may (if I can work up the nerve) resort to a method that I used once before to derust valve covers...muriatic acid for pools...its actually hydrocholoric acid and is very dangerous if it gets in your eyes..I splashed some in my eyes once, but luckily I was next to a water faucet and flooded my eyes within 2 seconds..plus the hospital was literally around the corner..minor irritation only, but it taught me to always wear safety goggles when working with caustic chemicals and to wear gloves.  Muriatic acid will actually dissolve most rust away, but it has to be neutralized, normally with a solution of baking soda and water, to avoid continued reaction with the metal and nasty results down the road.

Anyway, I'll experiment with a small section first and see how it turns out.

Sent: 6/28/2004 12:02 PM

Mine has been undercoated at one time so it's not too bad but does have some rusty places . I am going to try a rust bonding paint . it says you just have to brush off the really bad flacking and apply . It states that it wont stick well to non rusty surfaces . so I will apply it just here needed then paint the rest with rustolium . There are many products out there designed for frame painting . Sea Hag 

Sent: 7/6/2004 9:23 PM

Thanks! I purchased a spray on product from NAPA today..I'll try it out on the radiator core support and grill bracing this weekend...I'll let you know how it works.

John

Sent: 7/28/2004 9:05 AM

Walmart Auto Dept. It's called simply Rust Convertor. $3.96 a spray can, it'll take 8 or 10 cans to do your RV.
Wire brush the the loose stuff off, spray with Rust Convertor, wait 24 hours. You can paint right over it, as it converts rust to a primer. I used Walmart 94 cent spray cans on most of it, rubberized rustproofing on the sheet metal. Don't use rustproofing on anything you might need to work on in the future. It makes a mess!
BTW I wouldn't recommend Rust Convertor if I didn't use it. It works!

Sent: 8/22/2004 8:50 AM

Great idea and good product (undercoat) very messey too if not carful...just be careful and don't get the undercoat on any grease fittings or fittings that you might need to loosen, or on the paint......before you undercoat, and old fashion wire brush, some elbow grease, and a spray can of Black Rustoleum will do wonders, becareful with that sandblaster, you could sand blast some of your Winnie's body away......Timmy