Need source for hydroboost power steering fluid

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 27, 2008, 10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 12/27/2004 2:45 PM

The manual I have for my 78 Brave says to use
"MOPAR hydroboost power steering fluid, Part No 4026411 or equivalent. "
It also says "Never add gear oil or conventional power steering fluid".

Does anyone know what the "equivalent" is? I get blank looks when I ask for hydroboost fluid.

John

Sent: 12/27/2004 5:58 PM

My opinion; When the manual was written, normal power steering fluid was Dextron or Dextron II. Now its a bottle labelled "power steering fluid" from the auto parts place, and instead of being reddish in color like dextron, it is almost a clear liquid. That is what goes into my power steering system, which probably uses the same power steering pump as your hydroboost system.
You hydroboost was made by Bendix, and I would have to presume that the Bendix hydroboost system used on the GM trucks and diesel vans would use the same stuff too.
To be absolutely certain about the right stuff you could go to www.alretta.com and find how to send Mr. Rosenberg an email question, asking him if the p.s. fluid from the auto parts places is the right stuff. I dont know if he will have to answer, but he would certainly know. While you are at it you could price out new hoses for the hydroboost, and maybe new brake hoses for your RV. And whatever you find out, please let the CWM site know.

The only vehicles I know of that used gear oil or motor oil in the power steering were the Jaguars in the 50s and 60s. 

Sent: 12/28/2004 10:25 AM

I’ve written Alretta.com, attn: Mr. Rosenberg, and asked for fluid information and price for hoses. In the meantime though, the reservoir has been filled with normal Power Steering Fluid.

If the steering or brakes do anything exciting, I’ll report back.

Sent: 12/28/2004 12:05 PM

I use regular heavy duty power stearing fluid in my 76 W/ hydroboost system . seams to work well . I used dextron in it when I first got it because the stearing box was leaking and it's all I had on hand at the time . It seamed to be strainning with the dextron .I drained the system when I replaced the stearing box and filled with the regular power stearing fluid , it's much quieter .
Sea Hag 

Sent: 12/28/2004 10:35 PM

Here’s the reply that I got from Alretta. In any case, I’ve filled the reservoir with regular power steering fluid.

John -

The operative word here is Power Steering fluid. This is the power steering fluid for the vehicle that has also been routed thru the hydroboost unit. You need to buy any power steering  fluid you believe in. That said, the Dodge dealer should still be able to offer you an answer about this fluid by the part number you have provided.  I do not sell any fluid other than brake fluid.

I do not service power steering hoses that feed the hydroboost unit. They will have to come from a local auto parts store that wants to assist you to supply them. An independent auto parts store should be willing to try harder.

The front brake hoses that connect the calipers are a stocking part for us and will cost $35.56 each plus 0.75 each for a needed hose bracket lock clip. The freight charge is $5 for two hoses delivered via Priority Mail, three day service throughout the US. This would be for an order prepaid thru PayPal or via a prepaid money order. If shipped UPS COD, this would add a $8 COD fee. Please call to confirm an order toll free 888-257-3882.

Thank you,

Geoff