Pulling a tow vehicle with am 86 Cheiftain. . . possible?

Started by bnlfan, February 01, 2015, 07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnlfan

I have a tow dolly and have a 2 inch receiver hitch on my 86 Cheiftain.

Will I have any problems pulling my 2007 Ford Freestyle?

Oz

The old, gas RVs typically have no problem towing any vehicle other than say a big SUV or Van.  Which I see you have.

But, you need some numbers before the question can be accurately answered:

What is your RV's tow rating and what is the GVWR of the Freestyle?
There's more involved, but I'm not a tow pro, so I'll leave the rest of the discussion up to those who are.

Oh, and are you sure you have a 345 engine? That's the first time I've ever seen anyone with that on this website. 
Every other Class A Chevy P30 ever joined listed a 454. 
Class Cs have listed a 350.

Winnebago model year shows either the 454 or 6.2 diesel (optional)

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/brochure/1986/86-Chieftain-bro.pdf
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

bnlfan

Changed the engine size.

I have never owned a Winnebago and the man I purchased it from didn't know anything about it. 

I have learned a lot on this site alone as well as the hands on that I am putting into it.

As for the tow vehicle.  I have a chance to sell the van and will be looking for a small car.

As for the rest of the questions, I don't know the answers.

Oz

The GVWR info will be on the data decal typically found on the driver door or door frame of all cars.  Not sure where it's located on your particular RV.

Oz

We have the owner's manual for 84 & 89.

Assuming there isn't much variance from say 84 to 86. your RV GVWR is 12,300 lbs
Your hitch ball capacity is 200lbs
Your hitch capacity is 2000lbs

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/Pages_HTML/FreeManuals/Owner_Operator/Winnebago_Itasca/84AllWinn_Itasca.pdf

Google search shows your Freestyle at 5,379 lbs.

From there, the tow-pros can give you an accurate answer on what you can handle.

Lefty

I owned an '88 Georgie Boy that was a 28' long rig on a P-30 chassis. I towed a '98 Mercury Tracer with it using a tow dolly. It towed it ok, but it did affect the braking some. My dolly did not have brakes on it. Your Freestyle is much heavier than that Tracer though. My rig had a Class IV hitch on it, which I had upgraded from the factory class II hitch.

Assuming a GVWR on the Freestyle of 5,379 lbs. It's safe to assume the actual unladen curb weight is around 4,200 lbs. I arrive at that by figuring 150 lbs per person X 5 people (750 lbs) and 400 lbs of luggage/cargo, subtracted from the 5,379 lb max. Figure the dolly weighs around 500 lbs. So you are towing about 4,700 lbs actual weight is the Freestyle is totally empty. This very nearly maxes out the safe rating of a 2" ball on a Class III Receiver hitch.. Which are typically rated for up to 5,000 lbs. Your Winnebago likely came with a light duty Class II receiver hitch, which is only rated for up to 2,500 lbs.  To be safe, you need to have at least a Class IV hitch, which usually is rated for 8,000 lbs max. with a 2" ball (The ball has a thicker shank and the receiver is made of heavier steel than a Class III).

Besides that, the other factors would be the strength of the rear frame extension (if equipped, the factory ones are usually prone to being weak...), the condition of your radiator and cooling system, and a good transmission cooler. It's not so much can the rig actually pull it, the engine typically has enough power and it's geared low enough... it's the stopping and the extra strain on the transmission that is usually the issue. That, and having a heavy enough hitch mounted on a strong enough frame.

Any towed load greater than 3,000 lbs will require separate brakes by law in the majority of states. http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/
That's also something that must be considered, if your dolly is not equipped with it's own brakes..
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

bnlfan

Thank you all.

I think I will definitely have to look into purchasing a very small car to pull behind me.  Besides, I don't need a vehicle that seats over 6 people.

Maybe I can trade it for a small car.

JerryP

Quote from: bnlfan on February 02, 2015, 06:12 PM
Thank you all.

I think I will definitely have to look into purchasing a very small car to pull behind me.  Besides, I don't need a vehicle that seats over 6 people.

Maybe I can trade it for a small car.

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot?gclid=Cj0KEQiA3bymBRC19IrD7O_NrYsBEiQAb2dpA-KmBj-qiIWzMlNHH6lfWvea5SSE0Z9DwotKrHX8p5MaAvyv8P8HAQ

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

bnlfan

Well, the oversized car is going away, I am trading it for a Nissan Maxima.  So, I think it will be a better fit for a tow behind.  If not, I'll trade again.  :D

Lefty

I may have to rethink my original answer... Today I saw a mid-80's Holiday Rambler Imperial going the opposite direction on Hwy 280, that had a Goldwing on a rack sideways in the front, and a Ford Excursion (yes, the "big as a whale" version..) on a tow dolly, with a 20-something foot 200+HP bass boat hooked to the Excursion...

Unfortunately, I did not have my phone in the car to grab a picture.... :(
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

bnlfan

Wow.  Don't think I would have the guts to try that, nor the skill to handle it. N:(

I think this swap is a better deal for me anyway.  I end up with a smaller more economical vehicle and a few extra dollars in the bank. :)clap

Rickf1985

bnlfan

???

Edit.... Just realized what it was about.  I can't imagine towing in that manor is even legal.  Much less even safe.

JerryP

Quote from: bnlfan on February 07, 2015, 06:38 PM
???

Edit.... Just realized what it was about.  I can't imagine towing in that manor is even legal.  Much less even safe.
Yes a trailer pulling another trailer (Wigglywaggly) is legal, laws vary from state to state.
Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

Rickf1985

Not in most of the eastern states it isn't. At least not in the variety of trailers we are talking about.

HandyDan

We have friends that pull a large fifth wheeler with their truck, with a pontoon boat behind the fifth wheeler.  I have looked into the laws governing this in Missouri and there is nothing written concerning non-commercial use.  As long as you stay beneath 55 feet, you can pull as many licensed trailers as you like.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

TerryH

Quote from: HandyDan on February 07, 2015, 08:57 PM
We have friends that pull a large fifth wheeler with their truck, with a pontoon boat behind the fifth wheeler.  I have looked into the laws governing this in Missouri and there is nothing written concerning non-commercial use.  As long as you stay beneath 55 feet, you can pull as many licensed trailers as you like.
Safely?
2 Trailers behind an RV? -no.
Semi driver pulling a train - yes.
Your average Joe or Josephine - NO.
Would I follow behind them?
Not likely, unless there were at least 2 hours between us.
Backing up? If you've never tried it with a trailer and "pup" behind the main vehicle, ask a pro semi driver. Try it. You will be surprised.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

I have towed tandems and triples in commercial trailers but I would not try it with these setups, just not made for it and neither are the trailers. And yes, I can back up a tandem. Then again, I grew up on a farm backing up tandem hay wagons. try that one someday. LOL. Pivoting front axles on both trailers!