413 Engine Overheating and I Thought I Fixed Everything

Started by MSN Member, November 09, 2008, 10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denisondc

Sent: 7/7/2007 6:20 AM

Years ago I went into an auto parts place (it wasnt a NAPA franchise) and gave them the three Stant part numbers for the 'Superstat' type thermostats. I got the part numbers from a Stant catalog several years old. The 195°f unit had a 'skirt', but the 180°f and 160°f units did not. The countermen were surprised to see the skirted thermostat - they thought it was a new design. But my 1932 Chevy sedan has the same type of 'skirted' thermostat. Except for being smaller in dimension, It looks just like the one for the 413-1 in my Winnie.
I have yet to get a look into the thermostat housing of a 440-3 in a motorhome, to see if it has the same type of 'lower seat' for the thermostat skirt to descend onto, and close off the 'warmup' cooling loop.
If someone could post a closeup picture of the opening where the thermostat sits on a 440-3, the next time they have their thermostat off, I would be glad to see it.

LonghouseIndian

Sent: 7/9/2007 10:48 PM

I was just thinking about this, and isn't the purpose of a "regular" thermostat to shut off flow to the radiator during warm up? I mistakenly put the wrong one in my 413 and haven't replaced it yet because the only drawback I have had is 10-15 minutes of warm up before it will move. It also does not exceed 1\3 of the range on the temperature gauge.

denisondc

Sent: 7/10/2007 4:56 AM

The main purpose of the thermostat is to regulate coolant flow into the radiator to stabilize temperature; but in the 413 there is a cooling loop that the water is pumped through to make the the warmup 'even' from front to rear and block to head. This warmup loop is still open when the thermostat first begins to open. On modern cars they depend mostly on the physics of the flowing water to have most of the coolant flow directed into the radiator - not into the loop that goes through the cars heater. On the 413-1 that warmup loop is short and of large size. To be able to ensure all of the coolant can be pumped into the radiator - the thermostat skirt moves down and physically closes off that warm-up loop as the engine comes up to fully warm. I dont know about the 440s, still need to see how they do it.

browng

MSgt, USAF, Ret

Oz

There are other options as well.  Search "thermostat" here using Google from the drop down. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca