Winter Generator Use, cranks but won't start

Started by sasktrini, December 08, 2014, 05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sasktrini

I mean "Canadian" way-below-freezing-for-six-months winter!

The last time I was able to start my RV generator, the temperature was hovering near the freezing mark.  Documentation I have read for my used Generac Q-55G makes no mention of winter settings. 

My problem, though I added much fresh gas to the tank in the last month, as well as SeaFoam, it that there may have been a disproportionate amount of bad gas in the tank, or I may be guilty of just not adding gas-line antifreeze.  But when I crank, it just doesn't want to to catch.  Longest I may hold the starter button is 15 seconds.  I did seem to have issues where the generator fuel pump wasn't adequately pulling fuel through an in-line filter I added.  Line length from the fuel tank is about 12 feet, filter on the generator with the inline filter back about 3 feet.  Checked all clamps, and the rubber lines are brand new, so let's assume there are no air leaks.

Anyone have some general or specific advice on what sort of adjustments should be made for running a generator in the winter?

Thanks,
Corey aka sasktrini

tiinytina

I usually have to crank Gone's genny for quite a while as in 15-30 seconds at a time 10+ times, when its cold...  She won't crank from the dash switch unless the coach batteries are at near 100% full.  In winter having full battery to crank from is also important too older batteries don't produce the "cold cranking amps" needed very well.   Cranking from the switch on the genny I use one hand on the switch and another to "goose" the "accelerator".   If you do suspect its bad gas pop the line off from your tank and drop it into a gas can of fresh fuel.   My in line fuel filter (I installed a clear plastic one) never seems full of fuel but seems to be enough since the generator runs well once started that is....   and finally.. at least on my Onan Emerald 1 there is an altitude adjustment since I pretty much reside at sea level mine is set for that..

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Rickf1985

Make sure the choke is closed and stays closed during cranking. also unplug the genny from the camper or if it is hardwired turn off the breaker so that when it starts it does not immediately have to provide a load.

Bnova

Quote from: Rickf1985 on December 10, 2014, 07:22 AM
Make sure the choke is closed and stays closed during cranking. also unplug the genny from the camper or if it is hardwired turn off the breaker so that when it starts it does not immediately have to provide a load.

Good advice, as the converter and charger would immediately be on line.

Bnova

Quote from: tiinytina on December 09, 2014, 06:58 AM
I usually have to crank Gone's genny for quite a while as in 15-30 seconds at a time 10+ times, when its cold...  She won't crank from the dash switch unless the coach batteries are at near 100% full.  In winter having full battery to crank from is also important too older batteries don't produce the "cold cranking amps" needed very well.   Cranking from the switch on the genny I use one hand on the switch and another to "goose" the "accelerator".   If you do suspect its bad gas pop the line off from your tank and drop it into a gas can of fresh fuel.   My in line fuel filter (I installed a clear plastic one) never seems full of fuel but seems to be enough since the generator runs well once started that is....   and finally.. at least on my Onan Emerald 1 there is an altitude adjustment since I pretty much reside at sea level mine is set for that..

Tina

Yup, put a filter on that you can't see the fuel in it and fuel will always flow and you won't have to wonder about that bubble you always see in your see through filter.  Seen it plenty of times ;)

bluebird

Most Generac generators have a prime button on the generator itself. When mine sits very long I usually just hold the prime button for several seconds then start it from the generator panel. The choke on a generac doesn't close until you push the crank button. They are not like an onan, where the choke closes like a car. The choke is closed by a solenoid that is activated by the crank switch.

If your generator doesn't have a prime switch you may have to run a 12v jumper wire to the fuel pump. I run my generator every other month for 30 minutes with 2 electric heaters, then shut the heaters off for 5 minutes before shutting down the generator.

sasktrini

Quote from: Rickf1985 on December 10, 2014, 07:22 AM

All I have connected right now is my converter.  I start the generator with the 30A breaker (to converter) off, and extra 20A breaker off.

My starting procedure is generator on, 30A breaker on genny on, 30A main breaker on converter on.  Shutdown is the reverse.

Also wired in a toggle switch on the main DC wiring into the converter, which is also off for the most part.
Corey aka sasktrini

sasktrini

Quote from: Bnova on December 13, 2014, 08:20 PM
Yup, put a filter on that you can't see the fuel in it and fuel will always flow and you won't have to wonder about that bubble you always see in your see through filter.  Seen it plenty of times ;)

Crazy, isn't it?  I will add gas-line antifreeze to the tank.  It does draw enough fuel through it normally, but I haven't figured out if the lines are freezing or if there is an air leak... I would sure like to see the air bubble disappear!
Corey aka sasktrini

Bnova