...and The Journey Begins, FULLTIME!!!

Started by DRMousseau, December 07, 2014, 08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRMousseau

It all began with retirement this last spring.

Being single with no real home, I would become "a snowbird", sharing the latter half of the year with my daughters and their families in North Michigan, and the remainder with extended family and friends along The Emerald Coast of Florida (which has been "home" for the last 15yrs).

It was my daughters suggestion to get a small trailer for "pops" so I could have my own space and quiet place of retreat from the fast paced life of today's young families as their home was rather small for their family of four already. In Florida, I've typically boarded a room from whoever may have one available or jus needed the services of "a seasonal handyman" or whatever. Life's been good, and I've always been deeply Blessed with much appreciation.

So while "jus looking", I happened across an ad for an old '73 Winnebago Brave for jus $2200!!! I couldn't imagine it would be worthwhile, but the idea of "My Own Home" that I could travel with and take with me, had MANY more appealing factors that piqued my interest and curiosity. By the time I decided to call about it, the price was reduced to 2000. Eh,... Let's go see what $2000 will get! I arrived a few days and with mixed thoughts, was surprised it was still available. Mmmm, what's wrong with it?? I was again surprised to find the price FURTHER reduced to jus $1850!!! I looked it over,.... and was SHOCKED to find a vintage MH in mostly GREAT original condition with strong engine and drivetrain, all functional accessories, and for only $1600!!! I BOUGHT IT!!! Who cares if I put in another 1600 in repairs or whatever,... It was more than worth it!!!

So now, with jus a little clean-up, some minor repairs, and some low cost replacements,.... less than $250 in parts and my own skilled labor.... I now have a new comfy home AND transportation!!! A place to welcome guests, and venture about with grandchildren and others in the classic comfort of days long past,... LIFE is good!!!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

LJ-TJ

Don't forget to keep us in the loop as to how the adventure is going. Your an inspiration to many pondering the same move.

acenjason

TripleJ

I like the cut of your jib.  Keep the articles going too  :)ThmbUp
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

JessEm

Looks like it's in great shape! How's it been going so far?

DRMousseau

Sooooo,.... what's full-time living, in a li'l Classic Winnebago, really like???

WONDERFUL!! Exciting!! Comfortable. Challenging! And surprisingly affordable!!! Some might say I was "homeless",... others think I'm jus a wanderer. They couldn't be further from the truth! And my family, close friends, and those who know me quite well, truly understand my preferred lifestyle. After renting, rooming, and boarding for the last 20yrs,... it's been REAL nice to finally live in my OWN home!!!

My '73 D20 Winnebago is powered by the durable 440-3 engine and the "bullet-proof" 727 transmission, set in the M300 Chassis, all built with Chrysler quality and dependability of days long past. As a lifelong skilled and knowledgeable mechanic in MANY various fields, I have found it WONDERFULLY easy to repair and maintain. I also have a strong electrical background (DC AND AC) with some electronic basics, technology and experience as well. This too, has made repairing and maintaining ALL systems as well as troubleshooting some of the previous owners attempts of cost saving efforts.

Purchased nearly a year ago, I have driven it several thousand miles now. The rather convenient size and proportions of the D20 allows its use as a "daily driver",... sorta like an old Wonder Bread delivery truck. Mileage in the '69 Roadrunner 383, driven in my much younger years, was jus slightly better,... and no less affordable. But even with the small added costs of generator fuel, and propane,... my operating costs are surprising less than expected!!!! AND, I found needed replacement parts to ALSO be much more affordable than many comparable "late model" vehicles. Combined with the ease and simplicity of replacements and repairs,... I save A LOT on ALL labor costs too! Having your home ALWAYS and conveniently "nearby", means there's no added expense to, "run home and change clothes", or to run back home to get something you forgot.

And having my home nearby wherever I go, means I always have a comfortable place to nap! And many other "home comforts" too! Hot coffee or an ice cold drink is always within reach. The "bathroom" is always handy, whether grocery shopping, traveling on the road, or,... whenever!!! Comfort is being dry when it's pouring rain, and warm when it's freezing cold. A hot shower is always available,... wherever I am! And so is a warm bed. I can't describe the comfort in knowing the power will never go out!!! I have a refrigerator w/freezer, TV, microwave, stove, oven, a classic milkshake mixer, and other home comforts. Did I mention the comforts in always having handy, the tools and various miscellaneous items necessary for repairs and often used to help others in need??? My home isn't a luxury condo,... it's more like a comfortable cottage home on wheels, wherever I go!!!

And full-time RV living is ALWAYS filled with excitement and challenges!!! Watching big trees uprooted during sever storms and falling within inches of your classic home is VERY exciting,... believe me!!! And the excitement of total brake failure in heavy city traffic while 6-tons of everything you own seems unstoppable,... is HEART STOPPING!!!! And there's also the excitement of wildlife visits, muddy two-track roads, unwarranted police searches, and jus so much more!!! There's also challenging roadside repairs that would stop most folks and ruin their whole day,... or even their whole week!!! Locating the correct and proper parts needed for a Classic Winnebago can sometimes be VERY challenging too!

But I wouldn't have it any other way!!!

Enjoy every moment you can,... in every way possible!!

Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

LJ-TJ

Well you hit all the main points. I got to spend the week by myself in our 21'er. It sure was easy to keep clean. It was like you say an interesting experiance taking your home with you every where you go. And again you were right about it being nice to just come out of a store or what ever and beable to just sit and read a book or have a nap. Yeah I'm getting old to. It's great for doing aviation museums or going to a NASCAR race. It feels funny not having any roots but I guess the benifets out way having all that junk around if your land based. You got my interest with the unwarrented search's. If my life situation ever changes I just may very well join you. Don't forget to keep us up to speed on some of your adventures. :)ThmbUp

Bnova

Glad to hear it's working well for you, sounds like fun.  Be interesting to know if I could do it or not.

Rickf1985

My biggest problem would be letting go of all of the stuff I have accumulated. I have never had a lot of money, far from it, so I scraped and scrounged for everything I have. Once I finally get it i do not want to let it go since I know I will never be able to replace it.

M & J

I do that Rick but I'm considered a pack rat. I know without a doubt what I throw away today I will need tomorrow.
Leaving a brick and morter is a scarey thought for me. But I envey the mobile life in many ways.
M & J

legomybago

I want whatever he's drinking :P

Very uplifting story, sounds like fun. Glad it's all working out
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

LJ-TJ

:laugh: Hey Rick, I know what your talking about. Everything I have is scrounged a piece at a time and then after a year or two when I have all the parts I put it together. In my case it's a JUST IN CASE pile. I can't afford to buy new steel so I buy or scroung stuff and cut it up for the angle iron of flat stock. I'm a tinkerer. I don't know much but I try to fix things and then sell them so I can get my 1975 Winnebago. Why 1975........ With the help of you guys I can keep it going myself and get hit with a big mechanic's bill. You know what I mean. Keep up the good work Dr. :D

Froggy1936

I have spent the last 8 yrs  Living in my Mini during the summer months May to Oct ( I spend Nov thru April @ My sons house in North Wales Pa) A couple have been traveling Others are spent at my son in laws business parking lot in Export Pa. When I sold my house I had spent a year selling stuff. The rest is @ my son,s There is no way to carry it all But I have found a place for a lot of it though the rig is useable by 1 person only + dog ! The winter months are for repairs and upgrades wich require quite a bit of time ! At my age it takes 3 days to do 8 hrs work ! I am planning a trip this Jan/Feb as I think the Winnie is ready & my body is also ready (I Hope) Living in a home on wheels is great fun. Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DRMousseau

I've enjoyed celebrating year end holidays with my daughters and their families in Michigan, but Jan. is pretty tough. That's when I head to The Emerald Coast of Florida and enjoy time with the close friends and extended family I've grown close to. No matter where you are, winter is winter!!! Activities are typically minimal after year end holidays. The winter climate of Florida is GREAT for working on needed upgrades, repairs, servicing, and improvements, while allowing a bit of enjoyable activity. But come late May, the Florida sun becomes rather unbearable without AC. That's right!!! The ol' Winnie has no AC!!! But Michigan Summers are VERY comfortable, and there plenty of window ventilation. Combined with a good bathroom vent/fan, and some minor bathroom mods that include added vents at ceiling height on the bathroom walls, I can now quietly exhaust that ceiling heat that sometimes gets excessive.

Like many, I've accumulated a LOT of "stuff" over the years,.... AND of course, I've also lost, disposed, or given away a LOT of stuff too!!! I've again acquired another set of tools, and again, they're pretty specific to my current needs only. My only power tool now is a good battery drill/driver,... again, no great need for anything more, which I no longer have anyway, for whatever reason. My desktop/notebook burned out, and was replaced with a smaller tablet combo,... no need for anything more than that today. And besides, my phone has MANY multiple duties now. Many things I now acquire, are more compact and most often serve multiple use. I can serve a lot of picnic potato salad, or move a good volume of snow with my gold pans,... and they still bring an occasional garnet and a lot of color on relaxing streamside mornings. My hip-boots serve me year around,... while fishing, or trudging rain, blowing cold, snow or mud!! My canopy may provide shady comfort, or a dry, clean, drop-cloth for roadside repairs.

WEIGHT,.... is now a BIG priority over convenience,... with space a close second. Weight considerations is why I still have 20# LP tanks instead of 30's, no AC unit, only two 6V's instead of four, and a light poly tarp pole canopy instead of a fancy rollup. And keeping that weight in balance isn't so easy in a D20 either! Fuel and water in the back tanks alone can add 600lbs to the rear axle!!! A full fridge, batteries, propane, hot water and holding tank is barely in check with opposing genny, furnace, fuel, and a hundred pounds plus of tools. Long distance journeys usually require more forethought in regards to balance.

Would ya believe I'm considerin' a hundred pound 14' kayak too?!?!
And WHY do I still have this burned out alternator in here??? UGH!!!

Oh ya,... "unwarranted searches"!!! On the blatant pretense of a "noisy exhaust" (that I had JUST welded, repaired and replaced with new muffler only days before), that he claimed could be heard above traffic from his enclosed squad car parked in the median of the expressway,... I was pulled over by a trooper. Careful to use ALL proper signals and hazard lights, I pulled over on a nearby exit ramp away from the busy traffic.

With many recent arrests in the area for large quantities of drugs and meth labs,.... the trooper was desperate to make me a HUGE worthy criminal of me. Having a Florida license with Michigan vehicle registration (currently in my MARRIED daughter's name) and traveling alone apparently "aroused suspicion". With no REAL purpose of detainment, they usually WILL find something, ANYTHING, worthy of citing or WORSE!!! I ignored 2 requests to "enter and look around", before finally taking the chance and big risk of approving. He briefly searched the interior and upon exiting, I OFFERED, to unlock and open any compartment if he'd like. Yes,... a 25min stop, He was insistent, that I was hauling large sums of money, drugs, and possibly weapons!!! I apologized for disappointing him,... but this is only my HOME!!! I guess that became obvious in his search,... and I was FINALLY allowed to continue on my way without further delay, searches, or citations!!! UGH!!!
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

Rickf1985

Unwarranted or not it usually does not pay to antagonize the officer. Take it from someone who has had long hair for 55 years ( except for a short 2 year military break) and has had his fair share of "unwarranted" stops. Yes Sir, No Sir, Thank You Sir and Have a nice day Sir. Remember, in today's times they have a really tough time out there. Yea, you get the young newbies that want to make a name for themselves but they are the exception. No, I am not a cop but I see what they go through everyday now.

P.S. Profiling is NOTHING like it used to be in the 60's- 70's. They would take your car apart on the side of the road looking for drugs and then leave you there. BTDT.

Schmitti

I think it's always great when someone wins the jump for full timers  :)ThmbUp - I can not but I dream now. Yet I have long years working to be able to then convert me :'( W% .

I wish you all the best and beautiful in your ways - even if you have to undergo police checks on you ... the guys are making only their job. How is this with you in the US, I do not really. Here in Germany, the guys are always under extreme pressure and generally underpaid.
Have Fun with Your Journey

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

LJ-TJ

Once again I have to agree with you Rick. Put your ego aside for a bit and with a yes sir,no sir and three bags full sir and you'll be on your way. Is it right Nup. But the alturnative sucks. You WILL LOSE.  D:oH!

DRMousseau

Ah yes Rick,... it NEVER pays to antagonize "the authorities"!!! If they feel necessary for whatever reason, they WILL find something to make their efforts more than worthwhile. And it will be expensive and VERY inconvenient. But I have often stood my ground on solid rights too!!! Politely of course.

Fulltime living in an RV is technically unlawful in many jurisdictions, add the "greyness" of home and vehicle,... and matters get a bit more cloudy, even for LEOs. I had half a bottle of vodka in the fridge,... nothing unusual in your home, but a big issue in a vehicle!!! Enshrined on the back wall of "my home", is an item of ceremonial ritual. Not unlawful in ones home, it is technically a "felony weapon" offense in a vehicle!!! Since I possess a non-resident operators license, the issue of "temporary home and domicile" is quite clear. But it IS a vehicle registered in the local state! I don't have any firearm,... yet. But my "fishbat" is always handy, and was nearby,... as was my tackle box and some fishing rods.

The trooper was quite aware of my concerns,... and I made was well aware of his concerns. Awareness and acceptance of one another's rights and concerns, as well as one another's limitations and intentions, is often a key factor in "acceptable" outcomes in such matters.

YES!!! Fulltime RV life IS challenging and sometimes exciting!!!
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

Lefty

I'm glad things are going good for you, sounds like your having a great adventure. Sorry you got hassled a bit, but that does happen. Like you said, most of the time they are looking for either rolling meth labs or drug mules.. Giving a cop a hard time rarely makes a traffic stop go your way. It's not fair, but if your not hiding anything it's better to just let them do a quick look and wave you on your way.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

DRMousseau

Some excitement,... is rather mundane for those with experience, knowledge and skills.

For sometime, I could occasionally hear a faint intermittent "noise of concern" when driving the ol' Winnebago. Now men are often razzed about their sense of hearing, it's jus part of being a guy! And actual hearing loss can a factor too, especially in age. I happen to have some issues due to gunfire, racing, motorcycles, and some industrial jobs,... and maybe a bit from the Classic Age of 60's and 70's music. I've been occasionally known to sleep thru ANYTHING! Some would enter my quiet little home in surprise,...
"WHAT is that noise???"
"What noise?"
"That loud, irritating, ringing, beeping, kinda sound! You don't hear that??"
"mmmm,...OH! DAMN! Let me check,... yup, it was the inverter. The Battery is gettin' low. I jus shut it off. I wonder how long that's been goin'?"

Now that "noise of concern", was somewhat familiar. I could barely hear it above the rumbling of "the big eight" and it's roaring radiator fan, not to mention the vibration rattles, squeaks, road and tire noise, or passing traffic. I would ask a confirmation of others,...
"Do you hear that?"
"WHAT???"
"Do you hear that sound?"
"WHAT SOUND???"
"Like a faint, squealing sorta sound. From the engine."
"I CAN'T HEAR NOTHIN!"
I would tilt and turn my head while driving tryin' to better catch that sound. I'd listen from all under the front end, and under the doghouse too. But the faint "sound of concern" was elusive. Those of us with skills, experience, and knowledge, might describe it, as the faint sound, of a soon to fail waterpump bearing and I listened for it to develop more. Now a catastrophic waterpump failure will stop you dead wherever you are in an older vehicle, especially one of heavy duty character. So I easily located and bought a new one, with gaskets, belts, and made sure I had all that was needed, assuming I'd soon have to replace it. This alleviated my concerns of being caught unprepared. Replacing a waterpump on a classic 440 is easy enough to do roadside if necessary.

Now it was on a family journey earlier this year, thru the distant, isolated wilderness of Michigan's UP,... that excitement hit us. Excitement, is venturing in the unknown,... in an ol' Classic Winnebago. The long silent "noise of concern" fully developed within seconds, and erupted into horrendous clattering, grinding, screeching screams, and the smell of burning fan belts, all before I could shut it down and come to stop on the lonely two lane road. The hidden concerns of my daughter and her husband, were about, to erupt into panic! Are we stranded in the middle of nowhere, hundreds of miles from home, family or friends,... with CHILDREN?!?! OMG! DAD!?!?
"Grab me a soda, and let me take a look. I think it's the waterpump, and I got one on the floor here and all I need to fix it. Don't worry none,... I got this." I hid my anxiety a bit because it sounded pretty bad and NOT quite like a waterpump. I restarted the engine and quickly checked the situation.

"Well,... it's not the waterpump. It's the alternator! I'll have it fixed in a minute." Yup! The tiny "noise of concern" became a total, catastrophic failure of the Alternator. Bearings exploded, armature grinded and nearly seized, it was HOT! Now in a newer model, electronic dependent vehicle, this would be serious! But the ol' Winnebago is CLASSIC!!! I simply cut the Alternator belt free, leaving the power steering belt to maintain the waterpump. It was daytime, and the battery would supply hours of ignition needs with no headlights needed. We were on the road again in minutes,... as though nothing had happened. The family was amazed!!!

We stopped in the next village for a replacement. "Nope! Don't have one in stock. The nearest is 60mi away. We can have it for you by tomorrow morning. Shall I order it for ya?"
"Naaa, don't bother. I'm headed that way, I'll pick it up there as we pass thru. thanks!"
An hour later, we had picked up the new alternator, and continued on for another hour to our campground destination, where we replaced the alternator the following day. Complete with new chrome mounting bracket,... the old one was broken and cracked.

I was bestowed the title of "ULTRA DAD!" for my seemingly SUPER POWERS in overcoming tragic moments of excitement. Such excitement is rather mundane for those of us with experience, knowledge and skills, and I still have a new waterpump on the floor of RV... but I like the new title.
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

boohoo222

:)ThmbUp i too are getting ready to start fulltiming but didn't want to dispose of all my acquired TREASURES , so I solved that problem, my home is paid for so I'm gonna keep it, shut off everything, and since it is in middle Georgia it would make a perfect resting place for repairs or just a stopover between travels :P
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

DRMousseau

Ya know,... I REALLY should update this one!

My beloved Winnebago Brave sorta fell over on the highway jus over a year ago. A total loss, I was fortunate to recover a great deal of it contents and updated accessories. I do miss that classic "cozy cabin/cottage on wheels".

Today,... life continues into retirement. And a 34' "rolling upstairs apartment" has become a very comfortable home. Or rather very, VERY comfortable home!!! A few "heirloom" and family items are in the care of my grown daughters and their families,.... but such a huge home has far more storage and space than a crazy ol' man really needs!!!

Many are surprised at "Dad's Garage,... open 24/7", with tools, power saws, grinders, welders, workbench, scaffolding, and more!!! I also have a "parts department", specialized in bicycles (including a fixture jig for frame building and repairs), with a few extras parts to keep the RV in shape and runnin' on the road too. There's grease gun, caulking, tapes of all kinds, screw, nuts, bolts, meters, wire, fittings and who knows what else. "Ask Dad,... he probably has some!" YES,... I have a spare 20lb tank of propane and most anything else.

The "recreation department" carries a large assortment of fishing rods & tackle (including fly rods and my personal hip boots) to outfit a guest and ensure their enjoyment. A few camp chairs, a sluice, pans, shovels and other stuff for those who might like to relax and seek a few flecks of gold, stones, and gems in nearby streams. And several fancy kites for "kids"!!! Did I mention the large tent, luxury air mattress, small day packs, and odd "camp items"??? Room for plenty of guests and family alike!!!

You'll also find some scrap metal, copper, steel, plastic, aluminum,.... and because of weight, I do have a small store of bigger scrap metal at my daughters. But I carry a bit with me for repairs that folks need. It's nice havin' most all ya need to help folks a bit where ever ya are. And that includes jacks, chains and tire irons,... do need a small compressor though.

I got my "outdoor carpet" and coffee table, about 1/2 dozen or so concrete half-blocks, some tarps and ground cloths to work on or keep something dry. And for some reason, I got one of those auxiliary 2-speed fan/heaters that tee into the engine cooling system, if anyone is interested. It was from the ol' Winnebago and is jus takin up space in a bunk. Lol!!! Had thoughts of a portable propane fire-pit for outdoor "guest" ambiance, but not sure I'd use it much.

I won't mention the indoor electric fireplace/heater, counter-top electric deep-fryer (a REAL luxury!), real milk-shake mixer, auxiliary toaster oven, along with the standard built-ins,... no garbage disposal, dishwasher, or laundry facilities though. Heck,... it's jus me, and I'm an old man now. Guests can take their laundry home, and help out with extra dishes!!! Guests need only to bring appropriate clothes and personal items,... got blankets, quilts, pillows, towels and most anything else.

oh,... and a snow-blower would be nice right now!!! Full-time life in an RV has been WONDERFUL!!! Even for an ol' man who's retired on SS only!!!

Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

tmsnyder

boohoo222

wondering if you still got that 2 speed heat system that hooks to cooling system
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

DRMousseau

Jus dug it outa the bunk. Better condition than I remember,.... almost 30ys old and still looks and works as new!!! Know why I kept it now!!!

Check your PM,... call anytime!

And yes,... as tmsnyder noted in the link of my adventures, it really fell over!!! The loss of a home IS pretty devastating! I knew my life would change a bit,... jus never really expected it to be continuously WONDERFUL!!! (Even when snowed in with sub-zero temps!!!)
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor