Tranny slips into neutral

Started by class87, November 27, 2008, 01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

class87

Sent: 12/8/2003 10:05 AM

Here's one for ya,

On a recent shake down run,we were doing interstate speed when the rig seemed to go into neutral all on it's own.I gave her some gas but she just stayed in neutral.I droped down to second nothing.Coasted over to the side and stopped trying to figure out what was going on.Since I had no game plan and we were stuck out on the interstate I thought I'd try to limp to the next sevice centre.Put her in drive took off slowly,she went up through the gears and away she went.Went several hundred miles before she did it again,same process.We finally made it home,now I'm trying to decide what I should do. T.J.

Sent: 12/8/2003 12:32 PM

"On a recent shake down run,we were doing interstate speed when the rig seemed to go into neutral all on it's own.I gave her some gas but she just stayed in neutral.I droped down to second nothing.Coasted over to the side and stopped trying to figure out what was going"

Low tranny fluid?I went to Dodge and got a gallon of 727 tranny fluid and never leave home without it,you never know,eh?
BooBoo

Sent: 12/8/2003 1:34 PM

I presume the low tranny fluid was actually the problem? As my 72 D22 sits for weeks or months between startups, I check the tranny fluid each time, unless it has only been a week or so since the last check. Each time I remove the engine cover, put fuel into the carb, which makes it start immediately, then with the tranny in -neutral- I check the fluid. I also watch it for fuel leaks and other problems under-the-engine-cover. My tranny works fine, but the fluid drips out from the old seals, mostly the shifter shaft seal, until it is about 1.5 quarts low. Then its below that seal and it drips more slowly, but still loses fluid, from the input and output shaft seals and the pan seal. I have been averaging maybe 4 quarts of tranny oil a year. I also check the coolant level and engine oil level of course. denison

Sent: 12/9/2003 10:34 AM

Duh, thanks guys. your right the tranny fluid was low. That's what you get when yov've driven a stick all your life. THANKS AGAIN. T.J.

Sent: 12/9/2003 11:03 AM

"Duh, thanks guys. your right the tranny fluid was low"

It was SOB(Mark) a while back who taught us that "DUH!" lesson.
BooBoo

Sent: 12/9/2003 7:57 PM

It's always best to start with the simplest problem, and work up from there.  Ask Sob all about low tranny fluid.  LOL.

Sent: 1/9/2004 3:00 PM

when this happens.........can you put it into second and have it PULL in second gear ?? 

Sent: 1/10/2004 4:39 PM

Hi, I read in one of the replys that they used tranny fluid from Dodge is this a must? I have not been doing this and my MH is in the shop and the tranny is going to be service should I have them used Dodge Fluid? Thanks Gil

Sent: 1/10/2004 5:02 PM

I ruined a jeep automatic with incorrect fluid, thats why I went  to Dodge and got a gallon of what I KNOW is the right fluid and its always available when I need it.  My book says USE ONLY DEXRON ATF.  What isnt clear is if they are talking Dodge,Chevy or both.Hopefully a pro here will answer it.  Me, I like the one that says Dodge on it.T  hen I cant muck it up.IMHO
BooBoo

Sent: 1/10/2004 9:33 PM

There are basically three fluids in common use. (1)  Dexron/Mercon III used in all GM vehicles,Ford 1980-1998,All Chrysler 1960-early '90s and most imports. (2)  Ford Type-F used in pre-1980 Ford Automatics and (3)  ATF Plus-3 used in some Chrysler vehicles (and Jeeps) starting in the mid-'90s   Also there is a new fluid for Fords called Mercon-V which became available in the late '90s around '97-'98. A few imports, primarily German ones also require special fluids available only at the dealerships. Lubegard makes some excellent products for converting regular Dexron III to ATF Plus-3 and to Mercron-V. There are two products available. The Red bottle converts to ATF Plus-3, and the Black bottle converts to Mercon-V. Hope this helps, Lefty