Refrigerator installation: it's easy!

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 09, 2008, 11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 5/24/2005 8:40 PM

Installing a new fridge isn't really too hard to do.  Dometic still offers fridges in sizes close enough to replace just about anything they ever made. 

We bought a new fridge for the Ark, and the coolest thing was that the door panel was almost the same size as the original...this allowed me to keep the "harvest gold" panel from the original fridge, making the new fridge match, and retaining a bit of the "vintage aire" that I love about classic motorhomes.

There were only three challenges:

1.  The new fridge was slightly taller, but the same width, as the old fridge.  I measured it carefully, protected the new paint on the cabinet with blue masking tape, and cut the opening taller with a roto-zip tool.

2.  The old fridge ran off of two power sources:  Propane, and 120 volts AC.  The new fridge runs off of three:  Propane, 120 AC, and 12 volts DC.  I simply installed a junction box in the cabinet, tied 12 volt wires into existing wires that apparently go to the furnace, and challenge defeated.

3.  The hardest challenge was the propane line and fittings.  The old fridge propane fitting was an inch outboard of the new fridge's propane fitting.  This might not sound like an issue, but copper pipe doesn't like to be bent sharply:  It cracked after trying a dozen times to make it fit.  I finally cracked and opened up the wallet...off to Lowes I went for tubing, more end fittings, a 90 degree fitting, a tubing cutter, and a tubing flaring tool.  I should have bought these anyway since all my plumbing, water AND gas, is the same 1/4" ID copper tubing with flares and flare fittings.  The hardest part was getting the tools to fit in the tight spaces...took a while, but its leak free and looks almost professional...lol.

I was going to add getting the new fridge into the Ark as a challenge, but the dimensions were different than the old fridge.  To get the old fridge out the Ark's side door, I had to remove the cooling unit.  The new fridge has a much lower profile door and a slightly shallower depth...I only had to remove my foldable counter extention next to the sink to get it in, and ease the fridge door frame past the entrance door frame.  I also had to remove the bathroom door for that extra inch of space, but installation was surprisingly easy considering the removal of the old fridge.

Pictures of the end result and of the plumbing and wiring are in the "Ark:  1972 Futura" album, page 3 in the pictures section, page 10 in the album.

Kev and Patti Smith.
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Sent: 5/27/2005 5:08 AM

Great description and info, Kev.

I installed a larger unit in the "Pharaoh's Chariot" last year and have a couple of observations to add:

1.  Winnebago cheaped-out on materials when installing the base below the fridge.  They used paneling instead of plywood and you may notice a considerable sag.  Also, if there was any water leakage, the panel will be in bad shape.  It would be smart and easy to replace the base panel with plywood while the unit is out.

2.  Remember that venting is very important with ammonia absorption refrigerators and, to help ensure the air goes up the vent and not over and around the fridge, when you have the old unit out, you should find rubber strips which seal the gaps along the side and top of the fridge, mounted on the inside wood framing.  My replacement fridge was only a little over 3" taller than the previous one so I simply re-adjusted the rubber seals upward.  If going from a smaller unit to a full-size though, you will want to buy and install enough seal to fit around the new size.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

HandyDan

After having taken the fridge out of the Holiday Rambler, I can say that, even with the cooling unit removed, it will not fit through the door.  It is an irritatingly 1/2" too wide.  Doesn't sound like much, but it is enough to make you say bad words.  The wall frame around the fridge is welded aluminum square tubing so any replacement either has to be the same size or you have to cut and reweld the tubing.  However, neither Dometic nor Norcold makes one the same dimension as what I have.  That is why I had the cooling unit rebuilt and stuck the old fridge back it.  Works great!
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

tiinytina

We had to literally remove the door and the door frame from Gone to get the old unit out and the new unit in.  fortunately found a new one with "similar" enough... dimensions to fit existing space.  This was after attempting to get it through the drivers door and main door multiple ways multiple times, fingers dented, certain language deleted.. LOL...  Then again it was a good opportunity to reinstall the door frame and recaulk it...
tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!